Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > Thoughts on a female Doctor Who?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Glaiza (last edited Aug 28, 2012 01:41AM) (new)

Glaiza | 35 comments I just came across a news snippet of Stephen Moffat talking about the possibility of the Doctor being female one day. After reading commentary elsewhere on the net - it seems like people have a different POV on this possibility and questions like how the canon works - and if the character is intrinsically male - have been thrown about. Thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/...

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-wh...

message 2: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments when it comes to the doctor I don't think gender matters, the doctor could be anything and still be the same being

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments I had thought at one time that alex kingstons river song was going to be the next doctor and I think I would be ok with that even after 50 years of a male doctor, I think they have written River to be very similar to the doctor and she has shown herself to be at home and comfortable in the tardis which is important, I think she could be the doctor and have a male and female companion with her and it work ok, Id certainly like to see it, maybe a trial version of it so to speak lol

Miss_Tessa_Melissa | 88 comments You know, the Doctor has mentioned before that he's been a woman before, as well as other things besides being humanoid. I think it would be nice, but maybe for only a little bit. Not for a run like Tennant had. The thing is,it would have to be done well. I have trouble latching onto female characters on the show. I still don't really like Martha, and even Donna, whom I adore now, was hard to like at first for me.

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments I think it would have to be a woman with an incredible personality. The reason I love Doctor Who is how they change the faces, but not really the person inside. So to me, it gender wouldn't matter.

I actually once posed this question on Twitter to my friends. I had gotten annoyed by the fact that all the Doctors were male and all the companions were female (which, it ends up for the companions, is actually untrue).

I think it would be a great way to mix it up. Also, Helen Mirren has already tossed her hat into the ring for it and I would gladly let her do it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12...

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul | 49 comments Which will happen first? A woman Doctor, or a minority male Doctor? Can you imagine the Doctor as a Jamacian or Indian male?

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (mage) | 4 comments That's why I'm voting for a female minority Doctor.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 2 comments I would love to see a Doctor of color! Male or female.

message 9: by PointyEars42 (last edited Aug 29, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

PointyEars42 | 469 comments Don't forget that the Doctor's daughter, Jenny, is already out there having adventures, so there's a built in candidate if he's replaced instead of regenerated.

Hmmm, would they provide a male companion for a female Doctor? The female companions usually turn into gun-toting superheroes, so its only fair to reverse gender stereotypes for the companion too.(What an opportunity for the writers to have the first male companion be the first one who never learns to cope with not being the hero of their own life's story, or who never learns to be useful to the doctor, or who takes human prejudice out into the universe...or be the first one whose crush on the Doctor turns embarrassing or stalker-ish).

Most importantly, would Regeneration #12 finally be ginger?

Right now I'm just worried about how I'm supposed to read Cthulu stories without thinking about the Ood.

message 10: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments I loved Jenny (not as much as David Tennant apparently!) and wish they would bring her back.

I just started Matt Smith's run last weekend and am excited to see what goes on with River.

message 11: by Laura (last edited Aug 30, 2012 04:24AM) (new)

Laura (lorcoops) | 22 comments I'd rather Moffat started thinking outside the box a bit more for the companions rather than tinkering with a male/female doctor. I was so disappointed to see the brand new companion is yet ANOTHER young female. If she falls in love with him I shall scream. The addition of Rory to the latest run was such a great move and made the whole thing much more multi-layered.

message 12: by Kamil (last edited Aug 30, 2012 05:26AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments another reason to think carefull about this regenarations is the vast base of fan-girls that might not like this gender change.

and seriously.... excluding Felicia Day, there are few women capable of pulling off the doctor's character

message 13: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 469 comments Lindsay wrote: "I loved Jenny (not as much as David Tennant apparently!)"

ROFL!

message 14: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 469 comments If they can find a man who makes the role work, they can find a woman who can do it. Backwards. In high heels. Has anyone seen Joanna Lumley as the Doctor in "The Curse of Fatal Death"? Gravitas and comedic timing and looks good in a suit.

That being said, I don't have any problems with the Doctor's gender remaining fixed. I just don't want #12 to be even younger than Matt Smith because it's really starting to feel very Benjamin Button in the TARDIS. I wonder if that's deliberate?

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments Lindsay wrote: "I loved Jenny (not as much as David Tennant apparently!) and wish they would bring her back.

I just started Matt Smith's run last weekend and am excited to see what goes on with River."

Id forgotten about Jenny, I loved that episode especially when Jenny steps out of the machine looks at the dr grins and says "hello dad" lol, she would be a really good female doctor

you will really Love what happens with River I love her character and storyline so much its fantastic :)

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments I think it would be really cool to have a female Doctor. I don't have any issue with that. Same with any other minority. That would be awesome.

However, just because the Doctor's never been ginger yet, I think it would be great if he never is (as much as I'd like to see that)... just as sort of... a thing that possibly can never be. However, the Doctor having a "finally!" moment might also be nice...

Could you imagine one of the Weasleys (Rupert Grint, or either of the actors playing the twins) as the Doctor?

When you first said "Female Doctor" and then I read "Ginger" my immediate thought was that you were all suggesting Felicia Day. (Hey, if the Doctor regenerates on American soil, is he more likely to become/sound American?)

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 0 comments Well, there was Joanna Lumley...

I agree I'd rather see some tinkering with the companion formula, which has been predictable. The older series mixed things up -- different personalities, different ages, men and women, aliens, and sometimes a whole entourage.

Also -- a guest spot for Sean Pertwee please!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lorcoops) | 22 comments Oh I would love it so much if Sean Pertwee was the next doctor... I agree that an older doctor would be very welcome, and Perwee would just be Perfect.

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 0 comments Laura wrote: "Oh I would love it so much if Sean Pertwee was the next doctor... I agree that an older doctor would be very welcome, and Perwee would just be Perfect."

But only if he wears his dad's dandy suits

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lorcoops) | 22 comments Keith wrote: "But only if he wears his dad'..."

Definitely :D

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana | 107 comments I too would rather they tinker with the companion before they change the doctors gender. I think it works to have him male but I think building on the companion would be better

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 337 comments Keeping him male works better for my fantasies, but I would still be open to trying out a female doctor. Like every other doctor, she will be disliked for 2-3 episodes, and then she will just be...the Doctor. Ultimately, I'm gonna trust that whatever Moffat does will be badass! I'll be just as sad to see him go (when it's time) as I will be to see Matt Smith go...

message 23: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jolene_wsm) | 6 comments Here's a Doctor Who Special where he ends up becoming a female doctor starring Rowan Atkinson, Richard E Grant, Hugh Grant (as Doctor Who), Jonathan Pryce and Joanna Lumley.

Warning, insanely hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDP...

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments Christine wrote: "I think it would be really cool to have a female Doctor. I don't have any issue with that. Same with any other minority. That would be awesome.

However, just because the Doctor's never been ginge..."

felicia day as the doctor yes please!!! I will take that in this universe or a parallel one or any possible!! :P

message 25: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments I feel the need to point out that the good Doctor is reaching the limit in number of regenerations he can perform according to canon, so if Matt Smith's Doctor becomes non-viable they don't have another 10 regens to play around with before deciding if they want a female Doctor.

Personally I'm still a fan of Tom Baker as the Doctor.

Amusing side note, my childhood was filled with people asking me if I was named after a Dr. Who companion, and occasional "Where's Aldrick?" cracks.

message 26: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 469 comments Right. So. Thoughts on Oswin, the next Companion? Gorgeous, plucky, damaged, able to rescue herself, thanks. Methinks I've seen this somewhere before...???

message 27: by Marsha (last edited Sep 04, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 44 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "If they can find a man who makes the role work, they can find a woman who can do it. Backwards. In high heels. Has anyone seen Joanna Lumley as the Doctor in "The Curse of Fatal Death"? Gravitas an..."

Yes, I've seen "The Curse of Fatal Death". It was a riot and Joanna Lumley made it work! So I'm all for a female Doctor. She'd have to have great comic timing, a quirky personality and be able to project a fierce sense of proper outrage when it was needed. Helen Mirren is a fine actress but I don't associate her with comedy so she wouldn't be my first choice.

message 28: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 0 comments Depending on the quality of my television and the PBS signal (both low usually), Colin Baker looked ginger.

message 29: by Christine (last edited Sep 05, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments Jolene wrote: "Here's a Doctor Who Special where he ends up becoming a female doctor starring Rowan Atkinson, Richard E Grant, Hugh Grant (as Doctor Who), Jonathan Pryce and Joanna Lumley.

Warning, insanely hila..."

.... Wait, what?! Rowan Atkinson on Doctor Who? Must see this!

PointyEars42 said: "Thoughts on Oswin, the next Companion? Gorgeous, plucky, damaged, able to rescue herself, thanks. "

I thought Oswin would probably be the next companion... but... you saw the episode - right?

EDIT: Jolene, I am watching that Rowan Atkinson video you posted right now, and it is SO great. SO SO GREAT. Thank you, thank you thank you!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (AmyBee929) | 33 comments Christine wrote: "I thought Oswin would probably be the next companion... but... you saw the episode - right?"

They'll definitely reintroduce her. I guess we get to keep on guessing how a little bit longer though!

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments If you really think so, the obvious answer is time travel. *shrugs* Just sayin'. However, it would be really interesting if The Doctor's companion Oswin joined in her current state.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess (Turpentine_Chaser) | 46 comments I am watching The series for the first time and just tonight watched (sobbed through) The End of Time. I'm not sure what I think of a female Doctor. Maybe.....of course, I'm still in mourning over Ten, so I may not be thinking clearly.

message 33: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments I know I'm going off-topic but I found this jewel of the internet and had to share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4_kv...

Miss_Tessa_Melissa | 88 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "Right. So. Thoughts on Oswin, the next Companion? Gorgeous, plucky, damaged, able to rescue herself, thanks. Methinks I've seen this somewhere before...???"

Okay, I don't normally like the new companions at first. Martha never won me over (too needy, emotionally), and I am still not sure if I like Amy or not (its the Rory dynamic that saves her for me).

I like Oswin! I really do! (view spoiler) I'm really excited to see how they bring her into the mix officially.

message 35: by Katie (last edited Sep 07, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

Katie | 337 comments Tegan wrote: "I feel the need to point out that the good Doctor is reaching the limit in number of regenerations he can perform according to canon"

And I feel the need to point out that in "Lets Kill Hitler" River Song gave the Doctor the rest of her regenerations...so Who *pun intended* knows how many he may actually have left?

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments I was thinking to point out the same thing. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 32 comments Diana wrote: "I too would rather they tinker with the companion before they change the doctors gender. I think it works to have him male but I think building on the companion would be better"

Ditto!

message 38: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 0 comments True. I do miss Romana

message 39: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 13 comments I would love to see Emma Thompson or Kate Winslet as the female incarnation of The Doctor.

message 40: by Celine (new)

Celine | 25 comments I'd rather they just opened auditions for the next Doctor to any actors who want it rather than try to specifically cast a female Doctor or minority doctor or what have you. Just let the best Doctor get the role.

And since she's tossed her hat into the ring, I would love to see Helen Mirren as the Doctor.

message 41: by seth (last edited Sep 16, 2012 11:10PM) (new)

seth chapin (djnimbus) | 14 comments Fantastic idea. They totally should do it. I imagine in my mind's-eye a cocky, but completely bonkers, genius as http://www.movievortex.com/wp-content... Hayley Atwell. The Good Doctor can never fully for see the outcome if the regeneration that occurs....

message 42: by Sofie (new)

Sofie Andersson (Duskbloom) I do think there are some exceptional female actors who could play the Doctor (Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson for example). And I'd rather have a new actor than bring Jenny back, I never quite fell for Jenny.

And speaking of companions, I really do hope that Oswin doesn't become yet another young spunky girl falling in love with the doctor. From what we saw of her in her first episode she seemed dangerously close to just being another in the line of similar "strong female characters". I really hope she turns out well.

message 43: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (dont_panic) | 3 comments Doctor/Donna made me think that Catherine Tate would make a great female incarnation of the Doctor. And he'd finally get to be ginger!

*Not that I think this will ever actually happen, just a thought I had :)

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments Lindsey wrote: "Doctor/Donna made me think that Catherine Tate would make a great female incarnation of the Doctor. And he'd finally get to be ginger!

*Not that I think this will ever actually happen, just a tho..."

I would love to have doctor donna catherina tate as donna was amazing :)

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments Lindsey wrote: "Doctor/Donna made me think that Catherine Tate would make a great female incarnation of the Doctor. And he'd finally get to be ginger!

*Not that I think this will ever actually happen, just a tho..."

I could totally see that too. And completely agree... Her brain turned to mush, remember? So sad a fate... stuck back in her hum-drum life with her dead-end temp jobs...

message 46: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (dont_panic) | 3 comments Christine wrote: "I could totally see that too. And completely agree... Her brain turned to mush, remember? So sad a fate... stuck back in her hum-drum life with her dead-end temp jobs... "

Waaah don't remind me! Donna's departure was one of the most heartbreaking moments in the series for me, so sad T^T

message 47: by Marsha (last edited Sep 18, 2012 07:31AM) (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 44 comments Rasnac wrote: "I would love to see Emma Thompson or Kate Winslet as the female incarnation of The Doctor."

I'm sure Emma Thompson could do it. She's proven to be both funny AND serious. Did you see her in "Men in Black 3", screeching out an alien message completely deadpan in one scene and b**chslapping Will Smith in another? Oh yeah, she could be the Doctor, all right.

message 48: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Garcia | 3 comments I do not think I would want to see a female doctor. The Doctor Donna was a great bit and Tate played the part perfectly, but I like the Doctor as a male... I would like to see a ginger though, that might be fun.

message 49: by Dajinxed1 (new)

Dajinxed1 | 95 comments I don't see a female doctor happening. It would change too much of the character (yes I know the character changes with each Dr. ).

River comes closest so far, unless they do something more with the Doctor's daughter.

Or his bloodline. Because you gotta remember Susan was his grandchild. That might be fun.

message 50: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 111 comments I'm not against a female Doctor Who, but when I think of one, all I can think of is that I feel like she should be like Genevieve Lafoux from the Parasol Protectorate series-wearing men's clothes and scandalizing everyone, but I somehow don't think a woman wearing trousers would be quite so scandalous these days. But I totally think that type of character would work.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread