Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story
This topic is about Wait Till Helen Comes
Page Numbering Requests > page number is incorrect

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jack (finsfan) | 14 comments page count should be 184, not 192. Thanks

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 49 comments How are page numbers determined? If a book goes from 1 to 200, is it 200 or do you include all the other pages i, ii, to iv and extra sheets of paper at the end to determine total pages?
Also, the book Midnight Express, there is a version that is spelled incorrectly - ISBN0446311219, it says Midnight Expre: More Ta, can this be fixed?
Thanks,
Aaron

message 3: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 169 comments Aaron, it helps if you provide links, but it looks like someone has corrected it.

But no, Roman numerals are not counted, only normal numbers, and only numbered pages. The last number of the book is normally the number of pages (occasionally a book has a preview of another, I believe those are not counted, otherwise, last numbered page).

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23517 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "and only numbered pages"

Not necessarily. If a book has an unnumbered page or two that qualify that come after the numbered pages, we'd count those.

http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/27...

message 5: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 169 comments He was asking about blank pages that can be at the end, so I wasn't really thinking of unnumbered pages with text. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing though, didn't realize it even existed.

message 6: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 49 comments I asked the question because I often see discrepancies between book sellers and Goodreads. Example: Amazon has the book Yes, Chef at 336pgs, whereas Goodreads has it at 319pgs (big difference). Same ISBN - hardcover copy 0385342608. Maybe Amazon counts all pages (whether numbered 1,2,3 or not).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 7: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 169 comments Yeah, sellers/publishers often count by sheets in the book, AFAIK.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23517 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "He was asking about blank pages that can be at the end, so I wasn't really thinking of unnumbered pages with text. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing though, didn't realize it even existed."

I have entered several, and participated in discussions about more. It's not terribly common, but it happens.

Mel wrote: "Yeah, sellers/publishers often count by sheets in the book, AFAIK."

Or they have pre-pub estimates. Or they assume a set number of pages for all books of a certain basic length. Any of these are likely, and it's why a good page number source (the actual book, WorldCat, etc.) is always better.

message 9: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 169 comments *nods*

unread topics | mark unread