Books are my life... discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Renee, Sanela and Martha's Discussion

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather B, Your Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

Heather B (HeatherBenson) | 1345 comments Mod
•♦◙ Reading Partners ◙♦•

Partners:
Renee, Sanela and Martha

Book:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction.” Gone Girl’s toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

Renee | 10 comments Ok, I'm now more than halfway through (around page 210) and at first I was sympathizing with Nick, then not so much! I'm waiting for the twist because I know there has to be one...right?

Renee | 10 comments Hi Ladies - let me know your thoughts - I finished and liked the book...but I'm interested in hearing your impressions.

Martha Rodriguez Hi Renee, I am in the middle of the book. I find the way the author gives us the point of view of both main characters interesting. From the hints that the author gives when reading Nicks point of view, it seems that he had something to do with Amy's disappearance, but it seems too obvious, so I imagine there is a twist somewhere. Up to this point, I like the book. I will try to finish it this weekend.

Sanela | 11 comments Hi Ladies:):). I have finished the book and this is actually the first time I am giving the review so I am not quite sure what to write. But let's try.
The beginning of the book reminded me of Lacy and Scot Peterson's case a lot, but I thought it cannot go that way, it is too obvious.I expected book to be more exciting,more happening and more action so at first I was a bit bored. Then when I got used to it slow pace and started to really enjoy it. Amy definitely fooled me with her diary and the twist was unexpected.Since I am psychologist I loved the way she studies people and actually used her knowledge towards her goal. All in all I liked the book, but I feel that is going to be like with "girly" movies, you enjoyed them but quickly forget about them.

Kelly (Kelly_L) What did you girls think of the ending? I have not read it yet but on another group, the readers were furious with the ending. And in fact, everyone seemed to be on the fence about liking this book or not.

Martha Rodriguez I finally finished the book. I agree with you Sanela, about it resembling the Lacy and Scott Peterson case. The hints the author gives at the beginning all point to Nick, but at the same time, it seemed too obvious. The first inkling I had that Amy had done something was when she mentioned that she marked the calendar with black squares on the days that she felt that Nick did not love her, and with pink hearts when he acted like a loving husband. I actually thought the ending was pretty good. It shows what an intelligent woman does to get her way, all her careful planning, and the attention to all the little details that women always notice. Nick seems trapped, but begins to understand how Amy's mind works, as he shows when he baits her with the comment that he felt sorry for her because every morning she woke up and had to be her. It was interesting to see the story develop from the two main character's points of view. I liked the book.

Martha Rodriguez I liked the book!sorry, I did not complete the last sentence on my comment before!

Renee | 10 comments Sorry ladies, for some reason I wasn't receiving notification that comments were being made on this thread! I liked the book, the two points of view were interesting and kept me thinking. As I mentioned in my post above I kept expecting a twist and I got what I wished for, I think it was only a few pages later!

I liked the ending because it was different - and also because it it left two crazy, screwed up people together, instead of them separately going out and inflicting their crazy on other people!

Sanela | 11 comments I thought that ending was unexpected, and the message to cheating husbands: sometimes you might just stay with crazy and not be able to escape!!:):). I felt as the writer left the space for the next book!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gillian Flynn (other topics)