Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > September 2012

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Skye, Founder & Main Moderator (new)

Rachel Skye (skyee) | 2149 comments Mod
Back to school, back to school.

September is that time of the year where everyone starts heading back to school. Fall is in the air, cold crisp air whipping around. About that time to bring out your cold weather gear (for some of us)

For this months challenge:
1. A book that has to do with school. ie. Takes place in a school, has a school on the cover. It doesnt have to be the beginning of school!
2. A book that starts with S
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school. try and make it a chapter book
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! For the birthstone
5. the 9th book from your TBR list.

Hope you enjoy the September challenge! Happy Reading!

xx

message 2: by Rachel Skye, Founder & Main Moderator (new)

Joining in on a slow slow note. Back to school means back to college! New school this year too :-)

3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school. try and make it a chapter book: The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

message 3: by Heather (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Oh my goodness now that is going to be a challenge for sure! Nt too sure how many I will do but will give it a honest try.
4/5 COMPLETED
1. A book that has to do with school - The Amazing Five Year Old: Getting Ready for School in New Zealand

2. A book that starts with S So Brilliantly Clever: Parker Hulme and the murder that shocked the World

3. A book your child is reading - a chapter book The Great Escape

4. Book with Sapphire cover! Homework for Grown-ups: Everything You Learned at School and Promptly Forgot

5. the 9th book from your TBR list. The Ghosts of Young Nick's Head

message 4: by Teneal, Book-Buddy Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:19PM) (new)

Teneal | 213 comments Mod
I'm in :) - Great challenge Rach!

2/5

1. A book that has to do with school. ie. Takes place in a school - Speak 17.9.12
2. A book that starts with S - Such a Pretty Girl
3. A book you read when you were in grade school - Brave New World
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! - If I Stay
5. the 9th book from your TBR list - Torn 25.9.12

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess Brave New World by Aldous Huxley If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Torn  by Cat Clarke

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:50PM) (new)

Jackie 5/5

1. A book that has to do with schoolVampire AcademyRichelle Mead 24/09/2012
2. A book that starts with S Summer DaydreamsCarole Matthews 05/09/12
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool The Magic Faraway TreeEnid Blyton 02/09/2012
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! For the birthstone Shadow of NightDeborah Harkness 30/09/2012
5. the 9th book from your TBR list. The Last DragonslayerJasper Fforde 18/09/2012

message 6: by Varla Fiona (last edited Sep 05, 2012 10:56AM) (new)

Varla Fiona (Trogs) 2/5

✔1. Has to do with school. The Mysterious Benedict Society
✔2. Starts with S. Starclimber
3. Read in gradeschool. Charlotte's Web
4. Sapphire cover. Snuff
5. 9th on TBR list. The Sorceress

message 7: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:32PM) (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 538 comments 4/5

✔ 1. Has to do with school.The Vagrants
✔ 2. Starts with S - Secrets of Eden
✔ 3. Read in grade school - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
✔ 4. Sapphire cover - The White Masai by Corinne Hofmann
✔ 5. 9th on TBR list - Back Roads

message 8: by Kel (last edited Sep 09, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Kel | 67 comments ✓1. A book that has to do with school. ie. Takes place in a school, has a school on the cover. It doesnt have to be the beginning of school!The Perks of Being a Wallflower- finished 09/01/12

Faye {Daydreaming_Star} (daydreamin_star) | 4 comments Gonna try for at least 3 for this, but we'll see!

0/6

1. A book that has to do with school. ie. Takes place in a school, has a school on the cover. It doesnt have to be the beginning of school!
2. A book that starts with S
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school. try and make it a chapter book
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! For the birthstone
5. the 9th book from your TBR list.

message 10: by Cathie (last edited Sep 27, 2012 01:54PM) (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 50 comments I'm going to try this :-). Never done a challenge before because I never seem to have the time. Maybe this will force me to have the time :-)

1.✔ Has to do with school. The Mysterious Benedict Society- Sept. 27th.
2.✔ Starts with S. The Secret Life of Bees - Sept. 18th.
3.✔ Read in gradeschool. Hatchet- Sept. 14th
4. Sapphire cover. The Lovely Bones
5. 9th on TBR list. A Million Little Pieces

The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1) by Trenton Lee Stewart The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) by Gary Paulsen The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

message 11: by Rachel Skye, Founder & Main Moderator (new)

Thanks guys! Glad you like the challenge. Trying to get these things back up to par with the earlier posted ones! Enjoy it and challenge yourself!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A School for Sorcery
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Ringworld
Zahrah the Windseeker

message 13: by Petra (last edited Sep 22, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Petra I'm in. I'll be going on a trip at the end of Septembe and won't be able to report back here until after the first week of October (but I'll only report the books read in September)

Completed: 3/5

1. A book that has to do with school. Annabel (Sept 16)
2. A book that starts with S Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art (Sept 14)
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school. (Speaker For The Dead)
4. Book with Sapphire cover! Persuasion (Sept 2)
5. the 9th book from your TBR list. (Super Sad True Love Story)

Completed:
Annabel by Kathleen Winter Sacre Bleu A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore 3 Persuasion by Jane Austen 5

message 14: by Diana S (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:26PM) (new)

Diana S | 54 comments September 2012 Challenge
Books Read: 4/5
Updated: 9/30/12

*At School
The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (9/5/12)
*"S"
Set Sail for Murder by Carolyn Hart (9/17/12)
*Grade School
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (9/28/12)
niece had to read it for a book report for school
*Sapphire
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (9/3/12)
9th Book

September Bookshelf
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7) by Carolyn Hart New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer

message 15: by Ann (last edited Sep 30, 2012 08:50AM) (new)

Ann Jacob | 62 comments Read 5/5

1. A book that has to do with school. ie. Takes place in a school, has a school on the cover: Prom
2. A book that starts with S: She Smells the Dead
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school: The Railway Children
4. Book with Sapphire cover: Bluefish
5. the 9th book from your TBR list: The Mysterious Island

Bluefish by Pat Schmatz

message 16: by Michelle (last edited Oct 06, 2012 11:50AM) (new)

Michelle | 18 comments READ 3/4

1. A book that has to do with school... Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince READ 9/2
2. A book that starts with S... Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art READ
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool, OR a book your child, sibling, cousin, niece, nephew- is/has read in school. try and make it a chapter book...George's Marvelous Medicine
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! For the birthstone... Wizard's First Rule READ 9/6

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Sacre Bleu A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind

message 17: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Sep 25, 2012 03:57PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (LadybugsDoodles) | 109 comments September 2012 Challenge
September 2012 ~ Completed ~ 5/5

☑ A book that has to do with school: A Little Princess ~ (9/9)
☑ A book that starts with S: Secret Life of Bees, The ~ (9/17)
☑ A book you read when you were in grade-school: Old Mother West Wind ~ (9/12)
☑ Book with Sapphire cover: Night of the Purple Moon ~ (9/11)
☑ the 9th book from your TBR list: O Pioneers! ~ (9/25)

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Old Mother West Wind by Thornton W. Burgess Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer O Pioneers!  by Willa Cather

message 18: by Kel (new)

Kel | 67 comments Finished my book for this challenge. I only chose to do 1 this time.

message 19: by Rachel Skye, Founder & Main Moderator (new)

Kel wrote: "Finished my book for this challenge. I only chose to do 1 this time."

Awesome good job Kel!

message 20: by Book Concierge (last edited Sep 19, 2012 08:25PM) (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 538 comments Update to post #7 - Challenge FINISHED

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra I'm off to Germany tomorrow and don't think I can update until we come back in October. I'm currently working on my 4th book for this challenge and hope to finish the challenge this month. We'll see. There's a lot of air time on this trip so it's possible.

Happy reading, Everyone! See you in 2 weeks!

Melissa (ladybug) (LadybugsDoodles) | 109 comments Completed: Post #17

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 30 comments Post #3 Completed - Found this month's challenge a hard one!

message 24: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 50 comments Looks like I'm not going to complete the September challenge. Too many books, not enough time. I'll put the other 2 on my finish later list.

message 25: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (Trogs) finished

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Still Hoping to finish my last book in this challenge!

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann Jacob | 62 comments Finished it in the last minute! :)

message 28: by Rachel Skye, Founder & Main Moderator (new)

Awesome!

message 29: by Jackie (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:51PM) (new)

Jackie Yes! Just finished Shadow of Night! Will up date my original post tomorrow ;)

Edited to say Here's my update!

5/5

1. A book that has to do with schoolVampire AcademyRichelle Mead 24/09/2012
2. A book that starts with S Summer DaydreamsCarole Matthews 05/09/12
3. A book you read when you were in gradeschool The Magic Faraway TreeEnid Blyton 02/09/2012
4. Book with Sapphire cover! That's blue! For the birthstone Shadow of NightDeborah Harkness 30/09/2012
5. the 9th book from your TBR list. The Last DragonslayerJasper Fforde 18/09/2012

message 30: by Petra (new)

Petra I'm back from vacation. I didn't progress with this challenge. I hardly read at all; not even on the plane (darn those video games). I'm about 2/3 through Speaker for the Dead, which would have been my 4th finish for this challenge.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
So Brilliantly Clever: Parker, Hulme and the Murder that Shocked the World (other topics)
Torn (other topics)
Brave New World (other topics)
If I Stay (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Enid Blyton (other topics)
Deborah Harkness (other topics)
Jasper Fforde (other topics)
Richelle Mead (other topics)
Carole Matthews (other topics)
More...