Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Odd Thomas discussion

Which books are necessary?

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michaela Hi, so please no spoilers because I'm only in the first book, which I love.

But I'm wondering which books are actually part of the series and the ones I need to read. Because it looks like there's going to be 8 novels, even though there's only 6 right now.

But aside from those, there's a book called "Odd Interlude" which has three novelas. Do I need to read that to understand Odd Apocalypse?

And there's three graphic novels that are preludes to the series. Are those significant?

Thank you! And again, no spoilers :)

Randi http://www.deankoontz.com/odd-thomas-...

I have only read the first 3. I think the website shows what's in order.

The graphic novels are prequels to the Odd Thomas series. Said so on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_Thom...

The interlude is after "Odd Hours" (#4). On amazon, it said that it's a stand-alone story in all 3 novellas so I dont think it's significant to the series, but naturally I'll read it because it's Odd Thomas.

Josh Reinhard The graphic novels are prequels, but I have only read one of them. I don't think they are actually written by Dean Koontz though. I think they allude to certain things, but not enough to give anything away. The actual novels need to be read in order even though they are each a stand alone novel. There are certain things that happen in each that influence the rest of the stories. They go in this order:
Odd Thomas
Forever Odd
Brother Odd
Odd Hours
Odd Interlude 1,2,&3
Odd Apocalypse
At the end of Odd Apocalypse, it reads "Odd Thomas will return in Deeply Odd" so I'm guessing that will be the next one. I read a while back in an interview with Dean Koontz that he initially planned for their to be 6 books in total, so we'll see.

Josh Reinhard FYI: check with your local library to see if it is partnered with overdrive.com and if it is and you have a library card, you can check out ebooks and audiobooks for free. currently they have all of the Odd Thomas series available, including the Odd Interlude trilogy. I think all are available in ebook format and the first four are also as audiobooks. Thats how I was able to read them all. I haven't paid for a book in quite some time. Check it out.

Tomerobber Josh wrote: "FYI: check with your local library to see if it is partnered with overdrive.com and if it is and you have a library card, you can check out ebooks and audiobooks for free. currently they have all ..."
Well I do buy books and with 2 iPads and 3 iTouchs' I have lots of room for eBooks and audiobooks. But I really like that my local library has made many improvements in the past few years and Overdrive is one of the best.

message 6: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb I'm a big fan of Odd Thomas although I did not 'love' all the books.
I recommend reading Odd Hours before diving into Odd Apocalypse. I had to go back myself for a refresher since the current novel makes a lot of references which I forgot about. Either way, they are all fun and I always look forward to the latest one!

message 7: by Melvyn (new)

Melvyn This has been a useful thread for someone like me who is new to the series. I enjoyed book one and am trying to ensure I know the order of materials before proceeding.

So far, I understand this to be the order:

Prequels:
---------
a. In Odd We Trust
b. Odd Is on Our Side
c. House of Odd

Main books:
-----------
1. Odd Thomas
2. Forever Odd
3. Brother Odd
4. Odd Hours
-------- Novella --------
4a. Odd Interlude (1,2,3)
-------------------------
5. Odd Apocalypse

The problem is that this list doesn't include the three part webisode "Odd Passenger". Where does that fit into the series? At which point should that be watched?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Josh wrote: "FYI: check with your local library to see if it is partnered with overdrive.com and if it is and you have a library card, you can check out ebooks and audiobooks for free. currently they have all ..."

My local library on Overdrive finally has Odd Thomas but none of the others. They've cut way back because of budget cuts. I've also searched for other books in my want list and nothing is there. *sigh*

Kirby hey, I was just going to point out a neat feature that I discovered not too long ago...

when you are on the page for a book (let's say Odd Thomas for instance), there is a link to the right of the title that has the name of the series and the number of the book (beside this one, it says Odd Thomas #1)...if you click on that, it will take you to the page that has all of the books with the correct numbering.

just thought I'd point that out for anyone who hasn't discovered it! the lists aren't ALWAYS completely accurate, but they usually are.

message 10: by Dean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dean MacAllister Thats ok. The order is not really important. All you have to do is read one of Dean Koontz books and you have read them all.
1) Take one sickeningly loving couple
2) Add one impossibly evil villain and stir for whole book.
3)Then add one canine and serve.

I set myself a challenge to find one of his books that was slightly different from this formula and failed miserably.

Amber Timm Odd interlude is not one you need to read in order to understand what takes place in odd apocalypse. Reading order is odd Thomas, Forever Odd, brother Odd, Odd Hours then Odd Apocalypse. I read odd interlude after I read up to book five. I suggest reading odd interlude and the comics before Deeply odd comes out in May. I wouldn't say they are exactly necessary to the series.

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Michaela wrote: "Hi, so please no spoilers because I'm only in the first book, which I love.

But I'm wondering which books are actually part of the series and the ones I need to read. Because it looks like there's..."

The Interludes came out as short ebooks. I thought they were very good. but I don't think you have to read themto understand Apocalypse. By the way Brother Odd is still my favorite.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Rasmussen There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Odd Thomas series order. Here it is, once and for all:
1.In Odd We Trust
2.Odd Is On Our Side
3.House of Odd
4.Odd Thomas
5.Forever Odd
6.Brother Odd
7.Odd Hours
8.Odd Apocalypse
9.Odd Interlude
10.Deeply Odd
I thought the above 5-7 books were really books 1-4, but they are preceded by the above 1-3, and Stormy is still alive and well.

Gayle Stoffregen Kirby wrote: "hey, I was just going to point out a neat feature that I discovered not too long ago...

when you are on the page for a book (let's say Odd Thomas for instance), there is a link to the right of the..."

That was so helpful!! Thank you for pointing it out!

Gayle

Tammy I think it really helps to read the first one Odd Thomas first because (saving you from spoilers) certain events in this book effect everything in his life afterwards, so it's good to get the insight you get in the first book.

Jordan The manga prequels are kind of fun, but should be read after Odd Thomas in order to avoid spoilers and because the actual book introduces the characters better.

Odd Passenger happens between Brother Odd and Odd Hours.

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Menzies wally wrote: "odd interlude...which came out recently...i believe...is situated somewhere in time after the 3rd or 4th...but someone w/a better noodle will check in, i'm certain of this...and give us the scoop.
..."

Why are so many people posting about this when they haven't even read the books??
Odd Interlude follows Odd Hours by just 6 hours after its end.

message 18: by Richard (last edited Mar 14, 2014 09:50AM) (new)

Richard Menzies Dean wrote: "Thats ok. The order is not really important. All you have to do is read one of Dean Koontz books and you have read them all.
2) Add one impossibly evil villain..."

Phantoms
Darkfall
Watchers
Strangers
Lightning
Twilight Eyes
Dragon Tears
False Memory,
and a few others are not "formula" writings by Koontz.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard Menzies Amber wrote: "Odd interlude is not one you need to read in order to understand what takes place in odd apocalypse. Reading order is odd Thomas, Forever Odd, brother Odd, Odd Hours then Odd Apocalypse. I read odd..."
It's a good one though.

message 20: by Richard (last edited Mar 14, 2014 10:23AM) (new)

Richard Menzies Josh wrote: "FYI: check with your local library to see if it is partnered with overdrive.com and if it is and you have a library card, you can check out ebooks and audiobooks for free. currently they have all ..."
ONLY the books which your County Libraries bought the Rights to distribute will be available to check out.
Just because a book may be shown on Overdrive.com in NO WAY reflects what may or may not be available to you from your own library.

OverDrive is not a nationwide book repository for lending/checking-out, it is simply one of the many formats of e-books. That can ONLY be done from the County Libraries where you live.

message 21: by Richard (last edited Mar 14, 2014 10:42AM) (new)

Richard Menzies wally wrote: "odd interlude...which came out recently...i believe...is situated somewhere in time after the 3rd or 4th...but someone w/a better noodle will check in, i'm certain of this...and give us the scoop.
..."

So if you're not sure and have read them.... WHY COMMENT??? Odd Interlude (the three-part novella) follows 6 hours after book 4, Odd Hours.

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Crum Ok so I have a question I have the chronological order of the Odd books but I am curious as to where the book Oddkins fits in?

message 23: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Mann None of them are necessary because every book resets itself like a sitcom. If you know about one character getting killed (which the second book spoils on the back cover anyway) you can pretty much jump in anywhere. You dont even need to know about Odd's powers or history because he explains it again in every book.

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Bridgman Tiffany wrote: "Ok so I have a question I have the chronological order of the Odd books but I am curious as to where the book Oddkins fits in?"

Tiffany, Oddkins is a children's book written by Dean Koontz and has nothing to do with the Odd Thomas series.

Nicola Jones Dean wrote: "Thats ok. The order is not really important. All you have to do is read one of Dean Koontz books and you have read them all.
2) Add one impossibly evil villain..."

77 Shadow Street

Tammy Millington he has the dog but the girl is not with him so I would say watch after brother odd.

Tammy Millington Nicola wrote: "Dean wrote: "Thats ok. The order is not really important. All you have to do is read one of Dean Koontz books and you have read them all.
2) Add one impossibly..."

wow not really.

Tammy Millington I just watched the webisodes and yes they come between brother odd and odd hours.

Nicola Jones Tammy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Dean wrote: "Thats ok. The order is not really important. All you have to do is read one of Dean Koontz books and you have read them all.
2) Add..."

I was replying to the "read one you read them all" with 77 Shadow street as being totally different. I mean technically Odd Thomas has the Stormy/Odd Romance, and lots of evil villains. And Boo.

message 30: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Panozzo what are these "manga prequels", that are being listed?

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Odd Thomas (other topics)