Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Mystery/Crime > Recommendations in the Mystery/Crime category

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 2486 comments Mod
Please add any recommendations to this category that you'd like to....titles you've read and loved, so we can broaden our horizons!

message 2: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby For those of you who enjoy reading crime/police procedural books but don't want to get too bleak, dark or bloody then I recommend Ian Rankin whose first Rebus novel Knots and Crosses I finished today. It's a cut above most of the popular style crime books I've read whilst not being as dark as I prefer my crime novels.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) And what if I want it to be really bleak and dark?

message 4: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby I already filled your noir category!

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2012 10:02PM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) They're not police procedurals

message 6: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby You make a good point.
To me the sub genre leaves a lot to be desired. Almost everything feels "cosy" to my tastes. The better ones need to be more literary, observing the weakness of man rather than a blow by blow documentation of what DCI Banks ordered at the coffee shop or how a USB interacts with a desktop PC.

Derek Raymond owns it in my experience so far. Ed McBain is enjoyable if simplistic.

message 7: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (last edited Aug 25, 2012 11:00PM) (new)

Derek Raymond...I haven't read any of him..and I see he has a few to his name! Which one would you recommend starting on Toby?

Ed McBain I have but enjoy others more!

I've also read a couple of Ian Rankin as well:)

message 8: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby The first Factory book is He Died with His Eyes Open, here's my review in which I sing it's praises loud and proud.

I'm about to start the second in the Martin Beck series which I realise might fit the darker police procedural crime novel criteria. The first book is Roseanna and is widely praised by modern crime authors as being a major influence on them.

message 9: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Thanks Toby, it sounds good. I notice Michael has had it on his TBR for a long time (Mar 2011) too.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I still don't own it :(

message 11: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby that is the best reason to have not read it after all this time!

message 12: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Ha! Library Michael?? lol

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Not in my library

message 14: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

In my library I can request books, and they will get them in for me...like the one Toby recommended a couple of weeks ago, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets...I have just received notification this morning that this one is in. They have got it as an inter-library loan for me:) So you might be able to do that!

message 15: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby Thats a good service.
I hope you enjoy homicide brenda

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I've never tried doing that at my library. I should ask them

message 17: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

It's a fantastic service, and this is the first time I've used it, as usually they've been able to get them from other libraries, but within my local council area. Thanks Toby, I'm sure I will:)

message 18: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Michael wrote: "I've never tried doing that at my library. I should ask them"

Good luck Michael!

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I just brought it on my Kindle instead.....sorry Toby :P

message 20: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby Michael wrote: "I just brought it on my Kindle instead.....sorry Toby :P"

You people and your kindles! At least you're going to read it now.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I would rather paperback but a kindle has its uses

message 22: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Ditto to what Michael says;)

message 23: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby Today I went for a little browse in my favourite used bookshop in an attempt to get out of the rain and stumbled across something quite fascinating in the crime/mystery category - Dreaming of Babylon - based on my experience of Richard Brautigan's The Hawkline Monster this could be something quite brilliant.

message 24: by Robert (last edited Sep 28, 2012 03:21AM) (new)

Robert I am brand new to this group and pretty ignorant of what is happening in Aussie crime writing. One book that caught my eye is Vodka Doesn't Freeze by Leah Giarratano (good example of a catchy title) but haven't found a copy yet. Can anyone tell me if it's a good series to get into? Vodka Doesn't Freeze (A Detective Jill Jackson Mystery #1) by Leah Giarratano

message 25: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (last edited Sep 28, 2012 03:31AM) (new)

Robert wrote: "I am brand new to this group and pretty ignorant of what is happening in Aussie crime writing. One book that caught my eye is Vodka Doesn't Freeze by Leah Giarratano (good example of a catchy titl..."

She is an excellent author Robert! Here is a link for you to get a copy:) http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Vodka...

I haven't read that one yet but have read Voodoo Doll and have Watch the World Burn here to read...

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 259 comments Me too Brenda. I am not sure when i will get to reading it as there so many books waiting to be read on my tbr pile but i'll get there. I also seen the one Robert menchined for 5 bucks so i may have to get that one too.

message 27: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Vodka Doesn't Freeze is $8 on BD at the moment...pretty good price.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Cheers for the link Brenda.

Funny how a good title can really grab your attention. I really want to see if the book is as good as the title.

message 29: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Robert wrote: "Cheers for the link Brenda.

Funny how a good title can really grab your attention. I really want to see if the book is as good as the title."

I should have said $8 AU Robert, shouldn't I!! Let us know if you get it, and read it, and what your thoughts are, won't you:)

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Absolutely Brenda.

Cheers!

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments If you like gentler semi cozy murder mysteries I have enjoyed books by Nancy Atherton, the Aunt Dimity series Aunt Dimity Goes West  by Nancy Atherton Olivia Stowe the Charlotte Diamond Mysteries series By the Howling (Charlotte Diamond Mysteries 1) by Olivia Stowe, and L T Fawkes Working Man series Cold Slice  A Terry Saltz Mystery by L.T. Fawkes.

I am afraid none of these are Australian authors. But I haven't found one who writes these kind of books. (I do read Peter Corris and have read Barry Maitland and the Night Ferry guy}

It's bad how easily one forgets the authors of books that were enjoyable but not great. I just saw Nancy Atherton on my Goodreads authors list and that she wrote the Aunt Dimity series. I read two of them ages ago and enjoyed them but had forgotten all about them. My list has reminded me of her and I will maybe look out some more.

I recently discovered L T Fawkes and really enjoyed Cold Slice, not great literature but well written and nothing in it that annoyed me. I annoy easily.

message 32: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Thanks for those Stephen:)

message 33: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

The wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Please add any recommendations to this category that you'd like to....titles you've read and loved, so we can broaden our horizons!"

One always has immense intrigue about subjects r..."

If you go to the author section you can promote your work there. These threads aren't for author promoting as posts get lost in amongst the others.

message 35: by Naynay (last edited Mar 03, 2014 02:03PM) (new)

Naynay | 4 comments First Night of Summer by Landon Parham

This book is amazing. It's so moving all throughout. You will need to have a tissue close by. The saying `keeps you on the edge of your seat` is a complete understatement when it comes to this book, I was by far hanging off.

You go through every emotion in this book....love, hate, forgiveness, disgust. Well-written debut.

message 36: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Thanks! I must get to this one:)

message 37: by Mish (last edited Jun 22, 2014 07:35PM) (new)

Mish | 262 comments I've read some amazing books in the first half of the year and I've taken a pun on a few debut authors

In a Cat's Eye by Kevin Bergeron - Debut author, Light & humourous murder mystery

A Love Like Blood by Marcus Sedgwick - a touch of the paranormal, fast paced thriller

The Last Winter of Dani Lancing by P.D. Viner - psychological thriller

Falling by Emma Kavanagh - Murder mystery, thriller & debut author

Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes - thriller & crime

The Fever by Megan Abbott - thriller

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway - a bit of everything; Sci-fi, noir,
espionage, historical, humour etc

message 38: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Some great sounding ones there Mish:) I'm going to check them out...thanks.

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 229 comments Dark Horse by Honey Brown

Dark Horse

I can't recommend this highly enough. My favourite read of the year.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Vicki wrote: "Dark Horse by Honey Brown

I can't recommend this highly enough. My favourite read of the year.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I haven't read this book Vicki, but definitely like to one day. It sound great.

I've only read Red Queen and The Good Daughter - I highly recommend 'Red Queen', it's another one of her books that leaves you thinking, not as suspenseful but sinister.

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 229 comments You won't be disappointed, Mish. I'm planning on reading Honey Brown's other titles. (I read After the Darkness, loved the writing but was a tad disappointed with the ending.)

message 42: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Vicki wrote: "You won't be disappointed, Mish. I'm planning on reading Honey Brown's other titles. (I read After the Darkness, loved the writing but was a tad disappointed with t..."

I've not read that one either but have the physical book on my shelf. Thanks for the heads up Vicki, I'll let you know what I think :)

message 43: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

The only one I have left to read is The Good Daughter and I had noticed you weren't too keen Mish....

message 44: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments Brenda wrote: "The only one I have left to read is The Good Daughter and I had noticed you weren't too keen Mish...."

True, I wasn't too keen on it. Its a while ago since I read, and my memory is not clear. But I do remember thinking the plot was a bit flat, compared to Red Queen, yet still great writing.

message 45: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I'll let you know what I think when I eventually get to it:)

message 46: by Mish (new)

Mish | 262 comments That would be great. Very interested to hear what you think.

message 47: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

:)

message 48: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 62 comments Do you guys have any contemporary crime short story recommendations?

My writing group want to analyse the crime fiction short story for placement of clues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Knots and Crosses (other topics)
He Died With His Eyes Open (other topics)
Roseanna (other topics)
Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets (other topics)
در رؤیای بابل (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ian Rankin (other topics)
Derek Raymond (other topics)
Ed McBain (other topics)
Richard Brautigan (other topics)
Leah Giarratano (other topics)
More...