Cocaine Pages discussion

Proposals > Weekly Reads - Your Wishes

Comments (showing 1-50 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Ana  (anavladescu) | 275 comments Mod
as I am a fast reader, I can't stand with only one book a month. obviously, I read a lot more.

what do you want to read this week?

message 2: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

Laurentiu Lazar (Laur1989) | 172 comments Mod
For this week I pass since the week-end is near and I'm going to agua-park early on Saturday and afterwards I got football planned with my friends in the evening and finally I go with other friends to watch a football game. On Sunday I study for my diploma project!

Ghilimei | 39 comments I'm up for a weekly read or two this month. I just finished reading The Hunger Games and I have no interest in the last two books of the trilogy, so I'm open for suggestions. I'đ like to read a SF that I can find at the Bucharest Metropolitan library or I'll just end up reading Ender's Game again :D

message 4: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

I want to read Asimov's Foundation, I bought Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation which contains all three. But this week I plan to finish Xenocide and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

message 5: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

yeah I have to finish Xenocide also, I've been ignoring it for some days but I just got back on it. Also i have to finish Second Child, so that I can have a clean bill and start fresh.

my plans for the weekly reads were easy, tipsy books, things that you can fully taste and fully incorporate even though they may be short or a bit schizofrenic (like )The Anomalies or Torture the Artist, which were books I really loved and both page turners) .

Eliza, I'll go check at the Metropolitan and see what I can find and propose.. though right now I'm on my limit of books at it :)) I'll finish something fast :D

message 6: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

not this next week, the one after it (the one that starts on the 5th), I want to start the weekly reads thing in the group.

I'm gonna take in account any propositions you might have, but bear in mind that it must be an easy, fast, light read, because its time limit is seven days, and some of us may have some other actions we'd need to attend to.

I hope you'll propose a lot of things, and on the 29th of the month (October), I'm gonna put the poll up so you can vote. On the 31st I'm gonna finish it and I'll announce the winner. Remember, reading starts on the 5th, that's why I'm putting the poll so soon because you'll all need time to acquire the book. The next poll will be up on the 31st, so you can start voting immediately for the next group read!

Brandusa (brandubell) | 40 comments I want to read Fahrenheit 451. It's a classic science fiction novel and a fast read.

Ghilimei | 39 comments I've already read Fahrenheit 451 but I don't mind re-reading it. Two authors that would work great for weekly reads are Amélie Nothomb and Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt.

message 9: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Oct 27, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

I've read Fahrenheit 451 one year ago. If you want a classics H.G. Wells's books are short and easy to read.

My proposal The Invisible Man.

Brandusa (brandubell) | 40 comments I've read The Invisible Man a few years ago and didn't like it that much. As for Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt, I've been meaning to read his works.

message 11: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

it's the 29th.

We have the following :

Brandusa proposed Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury .

Ghilimei proposed two authors, of which I chose one, and I randomly picked a book of hers (a short one, I assure you) - Amélie Nothomb, and the book is Métaphysique des tubes.

Laurentiu proposed The Invisible Man, by H.G. Wells .

I came up with William Gibson - Neuromancer.

These are the proposals for the first weekly read of this group. The poll is up from now up to the 31st, which will be in two days time. Make sure you place your vote, and I'll announce the winner on the 31st so we can all get the book! xoxo

Ghilimei | 39 comments So I went to the library and took home the following books:

Invisible by Paul Auster
The Cloud Dream of the Nine, a Korean Novel; A Story of the Times of the Tangs of China about 840 A.D by Man-Jung Kim
A Cat, a Man, and Two Women by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki
Dubliners by James Joyce

Right now I'm reading something else, so I'll probably get to these next week. They're all under 250 pages so if anybody wants to make any of these into a weekly read that is over by 19 November, please let me know :)

message 13: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

The Winner for 1st weekly read, 5th to 12th November is .. pamparampampam.. The Invisible Man, by H.G. Wells, as proposed by Laur!

Congrats and remember reading starts on 5th, so get your hands on the book by then!

P.S : the day after tomorrow we're going to start nominating for the second week. :p

xoxo

message 14: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Ok! As promised, I'm opening the new round of proposals for the week of 12th to 19th of November, because weekly read are really short term and we need to be prepared and have the books in case we need and want to read them.

I'm up for a Chuck Palahniuk book, so I picked Pygmy. Seems short enough and pretty interesting.

Anyone else?

message 15: by Ghilimei (last edited Nov 03, 2012 04:46AM) (new)

Ghilimei | 39 comments I'm resubmitting these:

Invisible by Paul Auster
The Cloud Dream of the Nine, a Korean Novel; A Story of the Times of the Tangs of China about 840 A.D by Man-Jung Kim
A Cat, a Man, and Two Women by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki
Dubliners by James Joyce

You can put them all in the run or take your pick :) I just read Pygmy last month and it is indeed interesting, but it's quite romantic for Palahniuk, it just doesn't have the usual edge (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) :)

message 16: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

I made a list of weekly books as well. My proposal is The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

message 17: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Laur, are you doing something to influence the polls?!

You won again!

The second weekly read of 12th to 19th November will be The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Congrats!

But now I badly want to read Dubliners. Damn.

message 18: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Nov 07, 2012 10:17AM) (new)

I'm a winner by nature !!! (at least in my dreams)

I got Dubliners and told Ghilimei that I want to read it with her. I believe in the same week as we have our weekly read, so you are welcomed to join us. (12-19)

My plans are to finish the books I got now on going, after which I start Dubliners, The Old Man and the Sea and finish with the Memoirs of Hadrian and Pride and Prejudice and I think I'm done with the entire month.

Today I reach the end of Anne Frank's diary, but barely tackled The Invisible Man, which I want to complete it by tomorrow.

From what I understand Joyce is a really hardcore writer.

message 19: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

i'm not sure hardcore is the word for him, but he's for sure a really good writer and he has been praised for his works a lot!!

now that we have the proposals and winner for the second week, i want to start proppsing for the third and the fourth, so we can certainly know what we can read and get the books in time... i had to search for the invisible man a whole evening, because i couldn't find it on the internet..

sooooo?? :d

message 20: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

Here is my proposal:Candide byVoltaire

message 22: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Accordingly, we have two proposals for the third weekly read.

Candide by Voltaire, as proposed by Laur, and Animal Farm by George Orwell, as proposed by Brandu.

Poll is open, start voting! I will close it on Saturday.

message 23: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (last edited Nov 17, 2012 02:31AM) (new)

With a crushing difference in the number of votes, Brandu's proposal, Animal Farm by George Orwell wins the third weekly read poll! Congratulations!

I have heard so much about this book and I hope it meets my expectations.

And now, for the fourth week? I know this is really rapid, but I figure that some of us may need time to get the books, so they need to know which is the winner way before the week starts.

I'll propose Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, because it's just about a hundred and fifty pages long, and it's a classic.

Ghilimei | 39 comments Ana wrote: "I'll propose Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, because it's just about a hundred and fifty pages long, and it's a classic. "

That's a great proposal, Ana! I re-propose something by Amélie Nothomb as I think she's definitely an author worth reading. My first 3 choices are Métaphysique des tubes, The Book of Proper Names: A Novel and Mercure.

message 25: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Nov 17, 2012 03:01PM) (new)

Ana seems you have read my mind since I wanted to make the same proposal.

My second choice :The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

message 26: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

The proposals for the 4th weekly read are as follows :

- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Métaphysique des tubes by Amélie Nothomb
- The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

Poll is open! Go vote! :)

message 27: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Woawza, finally my choice wins!

Of Mice and Men it is, for the 4th weekly read!

message 28: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

5th weekly read, anyone?

I'd go with something I recently got from the library, a short book by Saul Bellow, Seize the Day.

message 29: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

message 30: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

So, two proposals for the 5th weekly read, Seize the Day and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Poll is up, go vote! Voting ends 2nd december!

message 31: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

And the winner is Breakfast at Tiffany's ! :)

message 32: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

For our next weekly read I propose : The Paradox Men by Charles L. Harness

message 33: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

message 34: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

For this week I'd go with George Orwell, 1984.

message 35: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

given the fact that there's only one proposition, that being mine, this week we're not going to have any group read, apparently.

I'll stay with the same proposition for the week afterwards.

message 38: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Ghilimei wrote: "Confession of a Murderer: Told in One Night for whenever you see fit."

that is a beautiful book, I'm so glad you proposed it! I was quite impressed by it. it's gonna go on the run for the next week, I'll put the poll up two days from now :)

message 39: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

Here we are, one day after the 21 and nothing happened. Apocalypse my ass, I say. All that fuss for nothing - not even a shooting star on the sky. Noothing.

Well anyways, because this is the last week of this year I'm not gonna put the poll up for a weekly read, but we're going to finish our monthly read and then move on to January 2013 with a monthly read, and the second week of January we're going to start the weekly read again.

In case I forget in those days (because that's just how I am) - Happy Holidays to everyone here! I hope you celebrate them with your family and have a wonderful time!

Brandusa (brandubell) | 40 comments For the next week read I propose this great book called The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald . I've already read it and I absolutely enjoyed it!

Ghilimei | 39 comments I propose The Invention of Morel. Very short and very nice while also leaving you pondering about the meaning of everything :)

message 42: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

My proposal: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Scarlett (ScarlettLs) | 1 comments Loving the Rook by Daniel Omalley! its Harry potter meets downton abbey! reading extra slow because I don't want it to end!

message 44: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

I propose : Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

message 46: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

For the 10th WR? I'd say When we were orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 47: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new)

message 48: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new)

For our 11th WR. I just realized I've never read Brave New World, and it's not that long, so I'm proposing that one!

message 49: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Jan 30, 2013 12:04AM) (new)

Brandusa (brandubell) | 40 comments Ana! You took the words out of my mouth! I was going to propose the same book!!

« previous 1