Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking Blink question

So this is required reading for High School Psychology...
Lacey Lacey Aug 22, 2012 08:55PM
... but those who've read it, would you say it's particularly helpful to students wanting to study psychology in college? I'm trying to decide if I should take the time to read it before I take the class, for maximum retention. If you don't think it's all that great, what would you recommend instead?

I liked it, but I'd also recommend Influence and anything by Ronald K. Siegel.

I actually read this book while I was taking a social psychology class in college and thought they went really well together. The author mentions many key terms you will later learn in class and it's nice to be able to make these types of associations. I haven't read many other psychology based novels so my opinion is probably not the best, however I still found it to be extremely complementary and interesting.

Influence is a great book. So are The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, The Tell-Tale Brain, and Musicophilia.

I enjoyed this book. It may not help the most for psychology, but it'll help you with interviews and stuff. And I can definitely see how it works with psychology. I would suggest reading it.

I think that this is a great book if the reader has an interest in psychology. But for studying psychology or neurobiology or cognitive/behavioural psychology I would recommend something more technical such as Neuropsychoanalysis in Practice: Brain, Self and Objects, it's pretty advanced but at least it's conclusive.

Blink has its flaws, but this is the kind of stuff Intro to Psych students should read - it's easy to digest and summarizes lots of super interesting research.

I'm electrical engineer and I couldn't have understood better. Maybe if I was psychologist I could have got it differently, not better.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (other topics)
Neuropsychoanalysis in Practice: Brain, Self and Objects (other topics)