Q&A with Amy Gregory discussion

Racing to Love: Carter's Treasure (Racing to Love, #1)
This topic is about Racing to Love
Research ....hmmmm :D

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
So...research. Not one of my favorite things to do. I don't feel comfortable calling random places, or making a fake doctors appt to ask questions like I know people say they do. So when it comes to either the job(s) of the main characters or hobbies that are important to the story line---just how do you do your research. How involved do you get as far as dropping details into the story so it feels real. Now with my series, it's about racing. Something that I'm very familiar with. However, in the future, my next series is going to have different folks from all over the board.... So, whatcha got for me guys? :D

message 2: by J.K. (new) - added it

J.K. Hogan (jkhogan) | 4 comments I use a combination of things. Internet, library, talking to people, drawing from things I've learned from things I've read in the past, and good old fashioned makin' shit up. I say that last part in jest, but that's the beauty of writing fiction! I want enough fact to make it believable, but I'm all about artistic license. And of course, whenever possible, I use personal experience.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
J.K. wrote: "I use a combination of things. Internet, library, talking to people, drawing from things I've learned from things I've read in the past, and good old fashioned makin' shit up. I say that last part ..."

Oh that's awesome! I LOVE poetic license! I had to 'adjust' a few things in my current series to make it work for my books. I just have always wondered how common that really is. I hear about it, but it's nice to know it really is a tool of the trade! LOL... Muwah!

Katie Mettner (KatieMettner) | 9 comments Well you know my theory that when you write you either have to make it 100% accurate if its a real place or 100% made up. Living in the midwest I've found it extremely easy to call someone up and say "So I'm writing a book and I need an answer to this." I get the answer and they are excited that they can help a "famous" author (said in jest). Like when I called AT&T and grilled them about locking an iPhone and tracking and passwords etc. If you can make it up, go for it, if you're going to called on it by a reader, better to ask the question and get it right. JMHO

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "Well you know my theory that when you write you either have to make it 100% accurate if its a real place or 100% made up. Living in the midwest I've found it extremely easy to call someone up and s..."

Ah, my straightforward friend! I just don't have that kind of (insert word ;) here)!!! I am the most outgoing person on the planet probably, talk to a damn tree, but hell, calling up a random doctor, school, pharmacy anything-I don't care what or where, I just can't do it! LOL.. I find what I can on the Internet but then ugh! lol...

Katie Mettner (KatieMettner) | 9 comments You make me laugh! Ok then show up in the office of said random doctor, school or pharmacy and strike up a conversation. I've done that too and it works! I was sitting in a hotel lobby and saw a picture on facebook and texted a friend and said "I need to see this ballroom! Where is it and when can I go there?" In less than 30 minutes I was standing in the middle of the ballroom with 2 Sugar fans. So you see, its all about presentation. Bring a book and a card and throw around being famous and you're golden. :0)

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "You make me laugh! Ok then show up in the office of said random doctor, school or pharmacy and strike up a conversation. I've done that too and it works! I was sitting in a hotel lobby and saw a pi..."

It's that whole... I'm NOT famous shit that screws it all up! Now if I were like a Kennedy or Trump... well then! LMAO

Katie Mettner (KatieMettner) | 9 comments See but no one knows you aren't famous! You have a book with your name on it! Walk in and BE famous! It's easy I promise, or just call me and I'll get you whatever info you need ;p

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "See but no one knows you aren't famous! You have a book with your name on it! Walk in and BE famous! It's easy I promise, or just call me and I'll get you whatever info you need ;p"

You are sooooo good for my ego! LOL :D love you girl!

message 10: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Mason (danamason) I talked my daughter into joining the junior police academy so I could see the inside of a police station. :) The funny part of this story, all the scenes I wrote from this experience were eventually deleted.

I have a friend who had the opportunity to spend the night in a brand new prison. She did it and wrote all about it for future reference. She said it was pretty spooky.

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 58 comments Mod
Oh that's funny about going to that extent and then you deleted it all, silly girl!

I have to say, I don't think I'd be able to spend the night in a prison...that's just too close to 'real'!

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian Bigelow (brian_bigelow) I do have a tendency to use Wikipedia. Also do look other places also but Wikipedia is the first I look at.

unread topics | mark unread