One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) One for the Money question

Any recommendations?
Clala Clala Aug 22, 2012 11:53AM
The Stephanie Plum novels are absolutely hilarious but since I have already read all of the books in the series, I am looking for suggestions on what to explore next; and to complicate the subject, I am only looking for novels which are available as audiobooks.

Other authors whose novels I think are brillant, funny, witty and exactly what I am looking for are Darynda Jones, J. A. Konrath and Victoria Laurie and Terry Pratchett.

Thank you all in advance!

I really enjoyed the Savannah Martin Series by Jenna Bennett. It doesn't have the humor, but there's a love triangle, murders, and just enough sex. There are only 5 books in the series. I finished a book a day and have started re-reading them. I highly recommend you check them out.

Clala wrote: "The Stephanie Plum novels are absolutely hilarious but since I have already read all of the books in the series, I am looking for suggestions on what to explore next; and to complicate the subject,..."

Try the Carter Ross series by Brad Parks. The first one is 'Faces of the Gone'. I read a review that said this is a perfect blend of Evanovich and Coben. That review was dead on. Ross is a reporter in New Jersey and he has an odd assortment of friends and coworkers. He also manages to get himself into situations that normal people just don't. Also be sure to try Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series. 'Deal Breaker' is the first one. Myron is a sports agent and he also has an odd assortment of friends that help him out along the way. The series is funny, but if you pick up one of Coben's standalone books they tend to stay on the serious side. My final recommendation is the Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. The first one in 'Murder with Peacocks'. Her family can't be normal. Which is the same with the Spellman series by Lisa Lutz. Happy reading!

I agree with Joanne Fluke, this Hannah Swenson books are fairly funny, plus there are really good recipes in the hard copy books, not sure what they do on audio.
Also, Gemma Halliday wrote a really good series that was very similar, only based in LA. The lead character is a show designer.

Jill Conner Browne has written a series of pretty funny books, all with the partial title "Sweet Potato Queens". Funny and while fairly sexy, they are not detailed in that, though. I do not know if they are available as audio books.

Have you read any of her other novels like 'plum lucky' or 'vision of sugar plums'

I also like the Abby Cooper, psychic eye series by Victoria Laurie and agree on the Body Movers and the Spellmans series

Clala is you liked the plum books, i hear that you will like Joanne Fluke. I haven't read any of them yet, but our local librarian and my sister said you will like hers as well. She writes with the same sense of humor as Janet.

Clala Thank you so much! I will definitely have a look
Dec 09, 2012 11:03PM

I've never heard of any of those authors, but if you like Chick-Lit, there is a book called Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie that will keep you in absolute stitches.

Jeanie (last edited Aug 22, 2012 10:33PM ) Aug 22, 2012 10:23PM   0 votes
Shelly Fredman's series No Such Thing as a. No Such Thing As A Secret No Such Thing As A Secret (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #1) by Shelly Fredman The main character is Brandy Alexander who was a fluff piece TV news reporter who is back home in the old neighborhood in Philly. Hilarious. It will only be about six books long unless we can talk SF into extending or spinning off. Brandy friends are a little less outrageous an she does seem to be picking the guy. Four books out now. Delightful.

I love JD Nixon's character Tilly in the Heller series; she is also hilarious and pretty clueless. Heller (Heller, #1) by J.D. Nixon Heller Love the characters in both of her series but the Little Town series has a bit of a darker side along with the humor. Blood Ties Blood Ties (Little Town, #1) by J.D. Nixon

JD Nixon's books are only available electronically. The first book in each series is free. I think Shelly Fredman's book can be order in paperback as well as electronically.

Clala I have started on the Fredman series - thanks a million for suggesting them to me.
Dec 09, 2012 11:05PM

I really enjoyed Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels starting with The Eyre Affair
Christopher Moore is pretty funny too

I recommend the "Body Mover" series by Stephanie Bond Body Movers (Body Movers, #1) by Stephanie Bond, the "Spellmans" by Lisa Lutz The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1) by Lisa Lutz, and "Rose Gardner Mystery" by Denise Grover Swank Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (A Rose Gardner Mystery #1) by Denise Grover Swank. Enjoy.

I'm partial to Meg Cabot's Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) by Meg Cabot and the series that spawned from it. It's about a former pop-starlet who now works in a university dorm and gets involved in a murder investigation.
All of Meg Cabot's chick lit is entertaining, but if you like a little action in it, then Size 12 is the book to go for.

Pat (last edited Dec 04, 2012 08:41PM ) Dec 04, 2012 08:36PM   -1 votes
I enjoyed Jennifer Cruise's book, Agnes and the Hit Man very much. Then I read Manhunting. I was disappointed.

I think every now and then we read a book that tickles our funny bone just right, and even though the same author writes another, it does not seem to measure up.

I also use Audio Books. "Agnes" was hilarious.I get them from the Library.

Have you read any of the Aurora Teagarden series? They are very early Charlaine Harris stories."Real Murders" is the first in the series.

The Elizabeth MacPherson series by Sharyn McCrumb is very good too. "Sick of Shadows" is the first.

Another very cute set of 3 is about a well meaning ghost? spirit, who returns to earth to help solve crimes. The main character is Bailey Ruth Raeburn. She is sort of like the angel in It's a wonderful life. Interesting and fun. First book is "Ghost at Work"

Oh-oh -oh, I nearly forgot. Sarah Graves. Home Repair is Homoicide series. The first is Dead Cat Bounce. I think there are about 15 in the series.

Deborah Donnelly. Her series is about a wedding planner who is always ending up with corpses hanging around. The first is "Veiled Threats" All her books have clever titles.
The second is "Died to Match"

Laura Childs, The Tea Shop Mystery Series. "Death by Darjeeling" is her first. If you like Tea, as I do, it is a good choice for you.

I am so happy I found Goodreads. I can pass on some of the great books I have found and find so many more! So many books- so little time!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

One for the Money (other topics)
The Eyre Affair (other topics)
No Such Thing As A Secret (other topics)
Heller (other topics)
Blood Ties (other topics)
More...