Julie Wall's Reviews > The Book of Obeah

The Book of Obeah by Sandra Carrington-Smith

F_50x66
Apr 25, 10

Read in April, 2010

I started this book on Thursday afternoon, while in the waiting room during one of my son's appointments. I got about 15-20 pages in and it was time to go home. Later that night, I picked it up again for a little while, right before bed, and got a few pages further. I took the day off on Saturday and decided while I was relaxing and doing nothing, I would get the book out again. I finished it Saturday night. I couldn't help it. It wouldn't let me put it down!

This story is a wild ride into the protagonist's inner-self. The discoveries that she makes on the adventures she has will speak to just about everyone who reads it.

The plot is gripping, and the road to Melody's self-awareness takes many turns. The fact that the twists and turns continue right up until the very end will leave many readers hungry for more! The transitions between past and present are seamless, which allows the reader to “keep up” without having to flip back to re-reference what was just read. Ms. Carrington-Smith's characters come to life, to the point where one can literally "see" them while reading. I felt like I knew many of them personally after finishing the book. I picked up on an underlying theme of embracing diversity, which is also something that happens to be a central point in my life, right now.

Having been someone who has enjoyed researching alternative religions and spirituality, this book spoke to me in a way that I haven't experienced since reading a friend's book on Wicca back in the mid-nineties. It makes me want to research Voodoo beyond Hollywood's spin on it, beyond the pins stuck in dolls, etc.

I also enjoyed the references to very real places in North Carolina. Since I live quite close to where the NC parts of the story took place, I really enjoyed reading about places that I have been.

The Book of Obeah is a page-turner, and I would recommend it to anyone! I can hardly wait for the next in the series to come out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Obeah.