Rebecca's Reviews > Voices of Dragons

Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn

Apr 27, 10

Read from April 25 to 27, 2010

** spoiler alert ** To me, this is everything good YA should be. It's well written, thoughtful, and the heroine isn't 'whiney.' The plot flows fast, its action packed and serious without turning over into the world of 'adult.' Although the adults are doing lots of bad things around them.

Kay is a typical teenager. Her best friend has become sexually active with her boyfriend and Kay is feeling the pressure to hook up with her bestfriend/sort of boyfriend Jon. They go to high school. Sometimes she drives too fast and her father pulls her over because he is the sheriff in their town. Her mother, however, is the director of Bureau affairs for the Dragon border that their small town is next to.

In this world, the atomic blasts of WWII awakened dragons that had always been underground and mankind had gone to war against the dragons until a tentative peace was made, each side keeping to their own borders.

While she is climbing a section of the woods she knows her parents wouldn't want her to be in, Kay falls and is rescued by a dragon. Like her, he is young, not quite an adult and he can actually speak to her. Together they form a friendship.

But the adults are acting up. A Brigadeer airforce general wants to eliminate the dragons and is flying jets, illegally over the dragon border. When the dragons take steps to retaliate and tragedy strikes, Kay and her Dragon have to come forward with their friendship in the hope of staving off war.

Vaugh does a beyond brilliant job of playing on the 'sacrificing the virgin' to the dragon story and the whole tale works beautifully. Especially, in my opinion, the frustration teenagers feel in knowing that they have no say in what will happen to the world they will soon inherit.

Bravo. Five Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voices of Dragons.

message 1: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Jackson I'll skip the review so that I don't read the spoilers. I'd add this one to my TBR, pile. Thanks, Rebecca.

Rebecca I think you'll really enjoy it!!