(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick's Reviews > Killing Rocks

Killing Rocks by D.D. Barant

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: review-for-smexybooks
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy

Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Favorite Quote: “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for tattoos and STDs.”

Jace is back and ready for anything in the 3rd installment of the Bloodhound Files series. Cassius informs Jace at the end of Dying Bites that the sorcerer who was responsible for bringing her to this alternate world has been sighted and if she can find him and capture Stoker-she can go home. Magic words to Jace’s ears. But she should know by now that nothing is easy in the crime fighting world and the criminals never do what she wants them to.

When Cassius hands Jace intel showing Aristotle Stoker and the sorcerer Asher are in Vegas, Jace and Charlie catch the first flight out and rendezvous with a select team that will be used to infiltrate and bring them down. But before Jace can set anything in motion, she receives a mysterious phone call telling her that they know the reason she was brought to this alternative world and asks to meet her. Jace, against her own judgment, goes to the meeting and finds herself abducted. When Jace is incommunicado, Charlie joins a golem resistance movement and Asher and Stoker get away. When Jace and her new “partner” Azura begin to investigate what Asher is up to, Jace finds herself separated from her friends and depending on her enemies for survival as a war is coming that may end her chances of going home forever.

Jace Valchek continues to be one of my top 10 urban fantasy heroines. Her snarky attitude mixed with her smart and innovative style makes for non stop thrills and laughter as she tries to navigate her life in an world that views her as a dinner entree. The continuously evolving storyline and clever blending of situations makes for a fast paced, smoothly entertaining story that had me racing to see what happens next. Fantastic world building where humans are the minority provides an addictive mix of fantasy and mythology with enough of supernatural unpredictably to keep it fresh till the end.

The secondary characters are tight and well developed with personalities all their own. Each of them are strong enough to have their own books. Charlie, Jace’s golem partner, is a solid presence with his pin striped suits and very dry humor. When a situation places he and Jace on opposite sides, I was relieved to see neither of them lose an ounce of integrity to the plot. A new character is introduced, Azura, who I really hope is seen again in future books. A mage from another world, she to is looking to capture Asher. She and Jace complement each other perfectly in this story and they were hilarious to watch together. We don’t see much of the original cast- Cassius or Gretchen-but hopefully the next installment will bring them back into the storyline.

There are multiple convoluted storylines that run simultaneously and we are given some interesting history regarding alternate worlds. Ms. Barant does a wonderful job of explaining complicated matters in an easy and plausible manner. No romance this time around either, but some interesting developments that have me really interested in seeing what Ms. Barant goes with it.

The ending was brilliant and had me cackling with glee. The separate story lines merge together in to a climactic finish that is the best ending to date. The “epilogue” was bland and felt like it had been tacked on as an after thought. My glee deflated a little after I read it.

Even though this could be read as a stand alone, I recommend starting from the beginning of the series. Ms Barant does give enough previous story background to give you a general idea of what is going on, but you lose a lot of underlying nuances that makes this series such a wonderfully rich and eclectic series by not reading the first two.

All in all a fantastic addition to this series that takes a bit of fantasy, mixes it with sci-fi, and bakes into a wickedly action packed snarky treat for all.

Rating: B+
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Rocks.

12/29/2010 "I've been waiting a YEAR for this book. Squeeee"
12/29/2010 ""What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except tattoos and STD's."-lmao" 1 comment