Tobinsfavorite's Reviews > Eat Your Peas: A Daisy Book

F 50x66
Apr 24, 2010

liked it
Read on April 04, 2010 , read count: dozens

The three stars are mine; the kids would surely give it five. Once upon a time, the Easter Bunny was hopping through the grocery store, buying chocolate rabbits and jellybeans when she came across a bin of discounted books. Finding this and two others, the Bunny scooped them up and put them in children's baskets. (Of the three books, the Bunny was most dubious of this one.) However, one of the children declared that each book was the Favorite Book of its recipient, and so they were read again and again and again.

I like reading this book to my kids because it makes them laugh and because the text lends itself to exaggerated performance. I am a bit miffed about the presumed skipping of vegetables and consuming of desserts, but I have forced a moral on my kids, and they are quite sure that the vegetables were in fact eaten. (It's obvious, because how else would they have gotten dessert?) The art scares me a little bit. The only problem with it is the feverish blotches on the characters' cheeks, but they do both look like victims of a virulent plague that will carry them off in days. I guess they are supposed to look cheerful and robust, but they don't.

My Kindergartner has made his own book, called "Eat Yore Chikin" about his dinner of chicken nuggets. One of the best parts is the back, where he has written, "Everyone loves Tobin!", as the back of Eat Your Peas claims, "Everyone loves Daisy!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat Your Peas.

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie I want to read Tobin's book. Love your description of the characters' cheeks.