Kasia S.'s Reviews > Ferocity

Ferocity by Stephen Laws

2087548
May 29, 11

Read in June, 2009

This is my second time reading Stephen Laws and my second time being bored and frustrated with his style. I guess he's not the writer for me, which saddens me because his ideas are pretty interesting. This looked so promising, the lovely cover that reflects my morning mood when I have to get up for work, the man eating beast idea with a twists, yeah ...I was bored to tears reading it, in fact it was one book that I wasn't in a rush to finish, it was dry, dull and uninspiring, I hate to describe a book in such a way but I disliked it even more when I finally finished it then when I was stuck half way through the ridiculous plotline...the lame characters, the strange cat creature one knows nothing about when the last page is turned, the flat and annoying bad guys at the end that only seemed to ruin the story...and never mind that at some points the tale is told form the view of the giant cat and even from the little girl's point of view, who's mom is one of the most boring characters ever created. That to me was a speed bump every time the story seemed to get somewhere...I wouldn't categorize this as horror, there's not one scary moment in here, and the writing was a bit tough to get through, I found it lackluster and a bit confusing at times, it read like a low budget movie that should have never been released.

Basically this book is about two people who have lost a loved one in the past. Neighbors who I guess never looked at each other before, who seem to suddenly make a match. Unfortunately a huge storm is coming and at the same time some drug smuggling whackos are in town, on top of that there's the big black cat mystery going around...all this gets stirred with a crooked spoon to make a batch of stinky bad story soup. Maybe, just maybe if Cath wasn't pathetic (who laughs at a bum on the street holding you up for money, so your husband can get stabbed and killed) and her love interest wasn't uninteresting and the giant cant didn't do invisible camouflage then the tale would be better but I disliked it tremendously and I think I'm done reading his books, I get no pleasure from his stories, that's quiet clear by now.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferocity.