Chelsea's Reviews > Obit. Inspiring Stories of Ordinary People who Led Extraordinary Lives

Obit. Inspiring Stories of Ordinary People who Led Extraordin... by Jim Sheeler

Dec 05, 2007

bookshelves: biography, collections, non-fiction, 2007
Read in December, 2007

About 50 pages in, I had already decided it was a five star book. It had already made me laugh, it had made me cry, and it had made me do both in public - that usually indicates a good book. And it was, 50 pages in.

Then, at 200 pages in, I sat back thinking "another story about the woman who kept up the tradition of using an old fashioned printer?" Oh, but this one was different - she published a newspaper instead of her own little newsletter, like the woman earlier in the book. Sure.

That was followed by the fourth or so story about the citizen of the dying Midwest town who became the unofficial historian, able to point out where the old gas station and former post office used to be. That was followed by the third story of the guy who loved his farm, by gum.

The juvenile delinquent who went on to become a hero in Iraq, and the subsequent posthumous presentation of medals? I cried. The brilliant teenage boy who was developing his own personal philosophy? Cried there too, but that happy, satisfied cry, knowing that there are kids like that out there. The couple who spent all their time together (the second one in the book, to be exact), to the point where he couldn't bear to survive her? Heartbreaking. Plus all the happier ones that have kind of slipped my mind. They're good stories!

But why are so many of them the same story?

Check it out if you like the everyone has a story to tell/real people as heroes/finding the beauty in daily life. But jump around, and skip over the stories that don't catch you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obit. Inspiring Stories of Ordinary People who Led Extraordinary Lives.