Bennett Best's Reviews > There Are No Shortcuts

There Are No Shortcuts by Rafe Esquith

U 50x66
May 02, 10

I own a copy

I actually knew Rafe when he wasn't a teacher yet, but working as an instructor at a Jewish Community Center in Los Angeles. He was still a student at UCLA. Even then his passion for learning and his incredible enthusiasm for the Arts was infectious. He was the most memorable person I have ever met in my life as a young adult, and it's great to see that he continues to impact young adults today.

He's an extremely effective teacher due in large measure to his devotion to the premise that a child can be taught to recognize that we all have the capability to learn from each other - teachers, classmates, historical figures, modern day achievers - and that building and maintaining enthusiasm for whatever each of us as individuals do well, will make the world we live in a much, much better place.

His class is essentially an examination room for students to find themselves, become armed with ideas and the mental toughness to go forth into into a dark, bitter, and selfish world that secretly desires to be good, if only the truth were spoken by leaders who truly cared about the them and their planet. Rafe is a mad scientist, pushing thoughts of limitless potential into passionate yound minds, a teacher who transforms children into soldiers whose singular mission is to live good lives, and in doing so, change the world.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Are No Shortcuts.