Buggy's Reviews > The Captive's Return

The Captive's Return by Catherine Mann

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: blah, men-in-uniform-af-spc-op, rom-susp, shelf-11, tstl-heroine, jungle-fever
Read from September 02 to 05, 2011

Opening Line: “Lieutenant Colonel Lucas Quade refused to allow himself hope he would see his dead wife again.”

Lt Colonel Lucas Quade’s wife died moments after saying their vows, leaving him in charge of getting her younger brother out of the war torn South American country. Forced to leave his wife’s body behind Lucas has never gotten over the guilt. Now five years later a mission has brought him back to the very place his heart was shattered. He's to rescue a woman that somehow resembles his wife, it couldn’t be could it?

Sarafina Quade’s death had of course been faked and she’s been living under the 'protection' of her uncle. Unable to leave his compound or apparently contact the outside world Sara has only stayed for the sake of her and Lucas’ baby. However that baby is now five years old and the day has finally come. Sara and her daughter are busting out.

As Sara makes her way through the jungle foliage towards freedom she comes face-to-face with the man of her dreams, and then stabs him. What are the chances that Lucas would be coming to rescue her on the very day she escapes? The time for figuring out fate will have to wait because first they’ve got to face a dangerous trek through the jungle, “bad guys” chasing them, poisonous spiders, and Sara’s medical condition which for whatever reason she chooses to keep to herself. At some point she’s also going to have to tell him that he’s a daddy and if she can break through his tough-guy veneer they might actually have a chance at becoming a real family.

Oh this was a struggle to get through, which was surprising and unfortunate. I usually really like Catherine Mann and I have a definite thing for the dark, tortured, standoffish hero (I’ve given up trying to figure out what that says about me) I also love a good reunited lovers story. So, in theory this had it all and started out with some serious action and heartache. Regrettably it then fell into utter ridiculousness interspaced with blah. I just couldn’t get into it and after a while couldn’t over look the many faults either

Our hero was mean not sexy-alpha as I think was intended and the heroine (oh jeez) what with her bubble blowing (really?!) and secrets she personified TSTL. And their child was, lets just say beyond annoying. Even the bumble through the jungle which should have been exciting and filled with sexual tension came across as silly. And then there’s the bad guy. I never did figure out his motives, he just seemed to want Sara back and was, well… ”bad.”
I have heard that this is the weakest in the series through so I will be giving the Wingman Warriors another shot, one day. Cheers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captive's Return.

09/05/2011 page 256

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Hiya Buggy - See you are reading this series. I really enoyed it but have to say this was probably my least favourite. It will be interesting to see what you think xx

Buggy Thanks SO much for that Dee.
I have the whole series and was going to give up on it because I am so not having fun with this book. I'm skim reading, just trying to get through it. Probably not the best one in the series to start with.

Thanks again.

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Yeah I ended up skim reading it too....definately not one of her best. I was originally gonna give it a 2 star but rated it a 3 as it was Catherine Mann.

Buggy Yeah, what a dissapointment. Even with the themes that I like in my rom-susp tortured, dark hero, reunited lovers this was a painful read. I'll try to get my review done today.

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Good & Fair review Buggy!

Don't let this one put you off reading the series. You definately picked the worst one to start with. Also if you had read them in order you would have got a bit more background to Lucas' character. It's been a while since I read them but if I remember rightly we see more of him in the book before this one.

Go back to the start and read from the first one http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91... :)

Buggy Thanks for the words of encouragement Dee!

It was actually hard to review this because I wanted to rip it to pieces. I will definetly be giving Grayson's Surrender a shot in the next little while. I don't know why I read this one first actually I usually have a strict policy about reading a series in order.

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I have a definite thing for the dark, tortured, standoffish hero (I’ve given up trying to figure out what that says about me)

Haha! I know exactly what you mean, Buggy!

Great review! I like the way you put things (the bad guy was, well..."bad". Love that!) Too bad the book was a stinker. :)

Buggy Thanks so much Tamster!

I really do wonder about myself sometimes? I mean the more messed up the hero the more I love him.

Yeah this was a stinker, the bad guy had zero motives, he was just bad. Guess CM wasn't feeling real creative when it came to creating the antagonist

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant I mean the more messed up the hero the more I love him.

Think it comes with having ovaries, Buggy -- I myself have a (or used to have, whoops, I'm married now, lol) bastard meter. The bigger the bastard, the more I seem to like 'em. Uptight, repressed, alpha...something there rings my bell big time. :)

Maybe the author has an antagonist dartboard to come up with something - close your eyes, throw a dart and VOILA! Villain.

Buggy The bigger the bastard, the more I seem to like 'em. Uptight, repressed, alpha...something there rings my bell big time.

We are one and the same girl!

I take it your hubby passed the "bastard meter" -I love that and need one :)

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant We are one and the same girl!

But of course, Bugster!

My hubby snuck in under the bastard meter -- first cute one that did, so I married him. :)