Surreysmum's Reviews > Waterfalls of New Brunswick

Waterfalls of New Brunswick by Nicholas Guitard

May 30, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, waterfalls, coffee-table-books, owned
Read from April 28 to May 30, 2010

This is not a large book, but it can sit on my coffee-table anytime, for its colour pictures are clear and very beautiful. It is not a catalogue, which is more the function of a website in any case, but it pictures and describes 55 waterfalls, some remote, some easily accessible; each waterfall gets a single page of well-written if occasionally slightly gushing prose incorporating points of interest from geology or local history. There are how-to-get-there instructions, and warnings about difficult hikes or difficult times of year, but Guitard has found a nice balance in terms of his two target audiences: armchair travellers like myself, and the waterfall hounds who hike long distances, cameras in hand (bless them!) to find and capture these wonderful pictures, for themselves and for the rest of us.

While I enjoyed reading this through, and taking the time to look at each photo, I think this book will also prove handy as a reference when I come to sort out my waterfall postcards from New Brunswick. Very glad I bought it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waterfalls of New Brunswick.