Jess's Reviews > Spidey Legs Lana

2119409
May 10, 10

bookshelves: teen, borrowed
Read from April 29 to May 10, 2010

I bought this book because I thought the concept was interesting and the author was at the bookstore that day doing signings. I noticed later that it had been self-published. Sadly, it showed when I read the book.

This story has a great deal of potential but it doesn’t live up to it and I think a professional touch would have helped a great deal. Some of the dialogue sounded stilted, awkward, and just plain wrong for the situation or character. There were other sections that needed to be fleshed out more and characters that needed either more developing or reworking. There were scenes that should have been included but weren't there or characters whose actions and motivations needed some serious reworking to make any real sense. The only thing good about the book was the premise.

The writer said it had been compared to Twilight but I think the actual likeness is limited. Stephenie Meyer might have said too much or used too much detail but when you’re reading something with too little, too much is a welcome change. Meyer’s books might have dragged but LaRock’s book zips by like a SyFy channel original movie. Great idea but definitely leaves everything to be desired.

Overall, it was an interesting read but I just kept noticing things a professional publishing house might have caught and fixed. I really wanted to like it since so many great books are surely rejected by publishing houses all the time, but I now understand why it may have been self-published.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spidey Legs Lana.

04/30/2010 page 75
05/05/2010 page 160
58.39% "Wow, I was really hoping this book would be vastly better."
show 1 hidden update…