Taylor's Reviews > A Corner of the Universe

A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: my-all-time-favorites

When I hear 'Ann M Martin', The Baby Sitter's Club immediately pops into my mind. But the author proves in this book that The Baby Sitter's Club is nothing compared to what she can REALLY do.

This book is funny and warm, but at the same time it is heartbreakingly sad.

There's something about the main character, Hattie, that everyone can identify with- she's so very normal. Nowadays,a lot of main characters don't relate well to real life- there's just something about them that just doesn't transfer to my own life.

But Hattie is a breath of fresh air. She's hardly perfect- she breaks the rules quite often and seems to be very lonely at times.

And then there's Adam. I could go on for hours about him. He appears to be very simple (in every sense of the word), but we learn that there is so much more to him that just the 'mentally-not-all-there' uncle.

Some of his lines gave me absolute chills- particularly the line the book's title came from.

This book is one of my favorites of all time.

It really changed the way I felt, and the way I treated, people who weren't society's view of normal- because who knows? They just might be another Adam. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of the Universe.

Quotes Taylor Liked

Ann M. Martin
“Ermaline has entered the room noiselessly and is whispering to Nana. When she leaves, Nana and Papa start talking about friends of Mom's who are in the middle of a scandalous divorce. Mom and Dad keep glancing at Adam, and Nana keeps asking Mom and Dad questions, pulling their attention back to the conversation. I have seen this before. It's Nana's highly effective and very annoying way of not mentioning the elephant in the living room. But why does she have to think of Adam as an elephant? Why can't he just be their son?
~pgs 40-42; Hattie on adults”
Ann M. Martin, A Corner of the Universe