Manny's Reviews > Five Children and It

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: children, well-i-think-its-funny
Read from April 24 to 25, 2010

Somehow I missed reading Five Children and It when I was a child myself, so when I saw a copy at a yard sale I had to buy it. It only cost 10p, and the little girl who sold it to me looked rather like an E. Nesbit heroine, very serious, with huge dark eyes. The plot is a variant on "be careful what you wish for", one of her favourite themes. Some of the episodes are excellent, and it's full of delightful asides. But the construction is rather loose, and the ending is weak. I think she was dissatisfied with it and rewrote it a few years later as The Enchanted Castle , to my mind her clear masterpiece.

So, if you're as much of an E. Nesbit fan as I am, I definitely recommend reading this book. If you like classic children's novels and aren't familiar with her work, skip straight to Castle. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Children and It.

04/24/2010 page 50
04/24/2010 page 50
24.15% "The complicated rules that govern the behaviour of gold obtained from magic wishes."
04/25/2010 page 94
45.41% "Literary conventions about where to say the sun is setting. Her asides are, as usual, very fine!"
04/25/2010 page 128
61.84% "It's more complicated that you would think to be besieged in a semi-imaginary castle."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Thanks, Manny. I've added The Enchanted Castle to the list for my niece.

message 2: by Gulla (new)

Gulla kulla Good rewiew. I also liked the book.

Manny Hazel wrote: "Thanks, Manny. I've added The Enchanted Castle to the list for my niece."

How old is she? Will be interested to hear what she thinks of it!

message 4: by Hazel (new)

Hazel She's only six!

I like to plan ahead. :-)

Manny Well, I think I was about that age when I first read The Enchanted Castle, and I loved it! Though, as you'll see if you look at my review, I have changed my take on it several times since then.

message 6: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Manny wrote: "Nesbit's books are all designed to be read aloud, and there is plenty to amuse the adult doing the reading... "

I hear you. Unfortunately, she lives in Trinidad, and I don't see her often enough. I have to rely on sending her books and asking about her response. When I visit she tends to want me to read 'Barbie and the magic castle' or the like. I'm working to pry her out of the fingers of Disney!

Manny I'm working to pry her out of the fingers of Disney!

Good luck with that! Though, in a way, it's a little odd that Disney have never filmed a Nesbit story...