Susan's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: arc-edition, animals
Recommended to Susan by: Tara Chevrestt
Recommended for: dog lovers
Read from April 24 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy

3 1/2 stars. This is a story of Search and Rescue dogs but also of life with a golden retriever puppy named Puzzle who is being trained for SAR work, of living in a household full of rescued Pomeranians, and of all the training that goes into making a successful SAR dog and handler. There are also sad stories about why some of the author's rescued dogs needed to be rescued in the first place, and it never fails to amaze me how thoughtless and cruel people can be at their worst.

On the flight home after picking up puppy Puzzle, the puppy is sleeping upside down in the author's arms, leading to a favorite quote:

Gravity has pulled down the puppy's ears and lips and bared her fangs. Her eyes are open but unseeing, rolled up in her head with the whites exposed. It's not a good look. It's not even canine – more Hell-Spawn Bunny of the Undead.

For the most part I enjoyed the writing style. I would have liked more rescue stories and I would have liked a little bit less detail about individual rescue and training sessions, a little less repetition. The amount of training required for certification surprised me. The chapter on recovery after the Columbia disaster was touching and heartbreaking. I admire these volunteers who spend countless hours and a great deal of their own money to train and work these dogs, going into dangerous situations to save someone or even to find remains when it's too late to save. While this might not be an all-time favorite book for me, I think dog lovers will enjoy it.

Thank you, Tara!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.

04/24/2010 page 1
0.35% "Another great recommendation & book from Tara."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tara Chevrestt Thought this would be a winner for you. :) You are welcome.