Katya's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Apr 26, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: imitating-life
Read in April, 2010

I really wanted to like this book. I thought the title was brilliantly quirky; I'd heard lots of good things and read many a positive review; I was completely open-minded. And I enjoyed the first half. It was the second half that really set me against this book.

I enjoyed Christopher's story and his inner monologue, his innocence and simplicity and attention to detail and linear thinking. I started to really feel for him and sympathize with his differences. From what I know of autism (and it isn't terribly much, so don't count me as an expert or anything) I thought Christopher's character was a good portrayal of an autistic child, how their minds work, what they feel and don't feel and how they react to things.

It was when shit hit the fan for Christopher and his dad and he took off on a whimsical quest to London that I lost all patience with him. Maybe this makes me a terrible person. I know that I'd never be able to work with autistic children, but I respect the people who do all the more. I understand that it's not a choice for Christopher to be unable to feel or reciprocate people's feelings, but it still drove me over the edge. He stopped being charming and innocent, especially with all of his talk of stabbing people with his Swiss Army knife. Who gives an autistic kid a knife anyway, when he's known to hit people when feeling threatened? Bad move, mom and dad.

I don't know. Maybe I was disappointed because this book was billed as a mystery and darkly comedic, and I didn't feel like it was either of those things. For a good, darkly comedic mystery about an autistic child, check out Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. This one didn't quite measure up, and left me disappointed and irritated.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

03/05 marked as: read