Amanda's Reviews > Princess for Hire

May 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from May 02 to 03, 2010 — I own a copy

★★★★☆ I loved it

Wanted: teenage girl to serve as substitute princess. Must be willing to travel. Please call Meredith.

Desi's life sucks. She has to wear a stupid, furry costume at work, the guy she likes doesn't know she exists and her former best friend hates her. So when she's accepted as a substitute princess, it looks like she might finally have a chance to shine... And there's a hot prince to meet! But is Desi really up to the royal challenge? After all, the life of a princess isn't just tiaras and glass slippers...

I'd like to start by saying I'm shocked I loved this so much! I mean, it sounded like a book I'd enjoy but thought that it'd be aimed at an age a bit too young for my loving tastes. I love surprises and this definitely was a big one for me. The story started off introducing us to Desi's average, normal life and the people who make her tick. Then the magic kicks in when her colleague tells her about the magical fish he bought that grants wishes. Desi thinks he's crazy but gives it a go when he's not looking. That's when the story really kicks in to gear.

Desi is an easily liked character who due to actions not of her own has been dealt a bad last couple years for being blamed for something that was really out of anyone's control. She's a wallflower but steps up to the task at hand and always does her best. Which leads her to becoming a substitute princess. She enjoys being able to step out of her own skin and help others out even though she doesn't have the confidence to do it in her own life. Quite a few lovable and hateable (is that a word?) characters float in and out of her story leaving their own impression and make her feel more worthwhile. She has a lot more guts than I do with the jobs she takes on which really makes me want to take more chances in my life. She has her standard (silly) crush, the crush on the unavailable teenager and then a maybe possible new crush on the new boy in town. The last one will definitely be getting more involved with the next book from the way it's set up.

Once I hit halfway I couldn't put Princess For Hire down. Desi gets stuck in some really unusual situations and I squirmed with her with the steps she took to get through them. I'm really looking forward to reading more about the mystery boy (Reed) and how Desi deals with her impossible crush as well as the new adventures her job is going to take her on. This books is perfect for Middle Grade and YA books readers. If you're unsure if you'll like, try to borrow it from the library/friend and definitely give it a go.

Cover: I love this one compared to the hardcover version. They are both related to the story but this one has more character by depicting an actual scene.

Princess For Hire Series

1. Princess For Hire
2. Untitled (out late Spring, 2011)

I received this book from Egmont for review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess for Hire.

05/02/2010 page 176