Yvensong's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

2035613
Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: permanent-collection, dystopias-utopias
Read from April 22 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I started this out as a book on tape from the library and needed to return it, but I'm really liking this dark look at this post-apocalyptic tale, so I bought a copy to read.

Thoughtful, insightful, sometimes disturbing tale which begins after a biological disaster that wipes out most of the world's populations. Snowman, possibly the last human left, attempts to make sense of the events and people of a rather dystopian world, that led to the disaster.

Atwood's prose is both beautiful and frightening in the images she builds of a world gone mad, corporations and governments having unbridled controls, and the environment that has become not only sick, but dangerous for every remaining living thing.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

Quotes Yvensong Liked

Margaret Atwood
“Jimmy, look at it realistically. You can't couple a minimum access to food with an expanding population indefinitely. Homo sapiens doesn't seem to be able to cut himself off at the supply end. He's one of the few species that doesn't limit reproduction in the face of dwindling resources. In other words - and up to a point, of course - the less we eat, the more we fuck."

"How to do you account for that?" said Jimmy

"Imagination," said Crake. "Men can imagine their own deaths...human beings hope they can stick their souls into someone else...and live on forever.”
Margaret Atwood, Oryx And Crake

Margaret Atwood
“All it takes,” said Crake, “is the elimination of one generation. One generation of anything. Beetles, trees, microbes, scientists, speakers of French, whatever. Break the link in time between one generation and the next, and it’s game over forever.”
Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake