Liz's Reviews > The Girls

The Girls by Tucker Shaw

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, guilty-pleasures, dissapointing, own
I own a copy

I like to think of books like this as snack cakes. They can be yummy, but they're not chocolate cake, and while they're nice to have once in a while, too many will make you ill.

The Girls is yet another Gossip Girl-esc book, though the catch here is that despite all the boy drama, you never actually meet the boys. In fact, throughout the story the boys are nothing more than names that trigger emotions and catty behavior that would make Blair Waldorf proud. It's quite clever really, and it forces you to focus on the girls.

Neither the plot of characters are very original, you have the poor girl, the perfect rich girl, and the snotty rich girl. There's the good boy who's cheating, the skank who's getting in the way... It's all very familiar, and while it's not a bad story, it is one that's been told several times before.

It's almost too short to ever get anywhere, and though everything is resolved it seems to end just as you're starting to connect with the girls. Perhaps if there is a sequel I'll bump up my rating, but for now two stars is all I can give to a mediocre book that left me feeling like I deserved a little more than it gave.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls.