Torzilla's Reviews > At the Gates of Darkness

At the Gates of Darkness by Raymond E. Feist

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, read-in-2010, did-not-finish

While I did not read the first book in The Demonwar Saga, I figured that I would not be too lost while exploring this new world. Typically, authors will include a brief introduction in the form of the Prologue or a section in the first chapter, which helps acquaint readers with the work, so I figured At the Gates of Darkness would not be hard to adjust to.

I could not finish the book. There were a number of reasons why:

-Dialogue: A huge chunk of the beginning of this book was dedicated to dialogue, with not much happening. I need some action to occur, and that did not happen during my "50 page" trial.

-Foreign words: While prior readers to Feist's series may be familiar with all of these names, I found my reading pace slowing due to the overabundance of foreign words. It felt more like I was reading a book in a different language as opposed to a book written in English.

-Characters: Try as I might, I couldn't relate to or enjoy any of the characters that I read about thus far. This probably is due to the fact that I did not read the first book in The Demonwar Saga. Nevertheless, these characters were dull and distant for me.

These were three main reasons why I was forced to stop when I did. Perhaps others will enjoy this series, but I think I'll have to pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Gates of Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Lowther one of the great things about feist's books is his many characters that have been a part of this world are still popping up. I suggest you read the first part of a series.....do you watch movies in random order too???

message 2: by Torzilla (new) - added it

Torzilla First, you can't compare books to movies, so I honestly don't know why you're even trying to.

Second, a person is allowed to do whatever he or she wishes when it comes to reading a book or series. I know plenty of my blog readers HATE having the "obligation" to start a series from the beginning when there are 10+ books already in said series, and I am part of that group. Does this put me at a "disadvantage" if I start this particular series in the middle? Apparently so, but that is my decision, and I really don't appreciate rabid fans (not necessarily you, I got attacked for this review months ago when I first posted it) scolding me for doing what I want.

Third, this author's writing style is not for me, so I would really prefer to not pick up any of his books--whether they be books from the beginning of this series, or his next release.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Lowther Why cant you compare the two, especially since movies are interpeatations of books or screenplays. I wasn't tryi g to attack you and apologize if i came across that way, just trying to defend a favorite authors works. You certainly have every right to read whatever you want, i just think a poor review for this book based on being "lost" is unfair.
It is a fantasy book, and majority of this type tend to follow the same pattern.
Maybe im talking out my backside, but i consider Feist to be incredibly fun to read.

message 4: by Torzilla (new) - added it

Torzilla I believe you can't because movies miss so many important elements that books contain, and for good reason, since you have to condense 300+ pages into a 2-3 hour film. A lot gets lost in the transition.

It's alright, I'm sorry for being a bit hostile in my response. It's a knee-jerk reaction, especially since I've been attacked in the past because of this review.

There's a reason why I did not give this book a rating: because I DNFed it. That still does not mean I won't write a review explaining why I could not complete it. You may disagree, and some people do, but these sorts of reviews are valuable for potential readers. Perhaps someone who, like me, decided to begin Feist's series with this book will realize that it is probably not the best idea, considering there is so much information you need to know from prior books in the series beforehand.

As for me, his writing did not appeal, and it did not help that I began the series so late. It happens. There are other fantasy books out there where I feel the exact same as you do about this author.