Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Fallen From Grace

Fallen From Grace by Laura Leone

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: kindle-or-ebook, 2011-august, couldn-t-finish, romance-angsty, romance-contemporary, snarky-troll-lives-here, tropes-hero-is-a-whore
Read from August 13 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

Oh, it's lonely here in I-didn't-like-this-land.

I've been reading nothing but raves about this book for more than a year, so I was looking forward to reading it. I'm not going to say anything about the story, it's been done to death, other than to say I liked the story itself right up until I just. could. not. read. any. more.

I liked Ryan very much; I felt his background and situation was portrayed realistically and not melodramatically. If I lived next door to him I'd have fallen for him like a rock as well. My problem, AND IT WAS A HUGE ONE, was with Sara. It must just be me; I found only one other review that even mentioned it. My response to her was almost immediate and completely visceral; my update says it all:

It started when Ryan told her what he did for a living. First of all, she didn't understand what he meant by "escort". Colour me skeptical, but what female DOESN'T know what that word means? Then she freaks out (ok, that I understand) but then turns it around so it's about how he's betrayed her. HUH??? Then she's mad because she babysat his dog while he was out fucking other women.

"I don't think details are a good idea, Sara." There was a difference between honesty and stupidity, after all.

"No, I want to know," she said, some more anger creeping in now. "How many women were you sleeping with on your trip last week while I was here, walking your dog, and feeding your fish, and taking your cat to your vet, and - "

Sheesh. You've lived next door to the guy for a couple of months, hung out together as friends. You thought he was gay, for crissake. You hid how much you wanted to jump his bones because you thought he didn't like you.

Now you can't understand how it's a job, how he feels trapped, how he tried to get out once before but couldn't. How he feels like he owes his life to his "boss", how he has no skills to do anything else. So you say things like this:

"Why won't you quit this life?"

The plaintive question was out of her mouth before she even knew she was thinking it, let alone contemplating saying it out loud.

He sighed and rested his forehead against the broom for a moment. "I tried. I can't. That's why I've been avoiding you ever since you asked about it. Because this..." He made a vague gesture indicating the two of them, "...this will only hurt you. And I don't want to hurt you."

"Too late now."

He met her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"What do you mean you tried? How? What happened?" When he didn't reply, she said querulously, "Try harder."

Again, I'm struggling to understand how this is ANY OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS. What gives you the right to demand to know why he has or hasn't done anything? And how has this hurt YOU, when you made it clear that you were disgusted and hid from him for days after he told you?

Sara is also a bit uptight sexually, and about comes unglued when her sister tells her she's gay. Ryan knows before she does (he's a bit more observant than Sara is) and her response to him is to make a rude noise and say "Well, obvious to a sex professional, maybe, but I had no idea."

Ryan straps a set on at that point and tells her exactly what he was up to the day before -- in great detail. "I screwed one woman while her lesbian lover watched. Then I did a three-way with them." ( HAH! Point to Ryan. Take that, Sara, you bitch.) Sara can't even respond, she has to "wait for her revulsion to subside".

After avoiding him for three days she demands, "where have you been?" when he isn't around when she decides she needs to talk to him. When he tells her he was working, she rolls her eyes and says something snide. Another day she says, "I've spent all evening waiting for you to come home." She frowned at him. "You can't keep doing that. You have to give me your cell phone number." Then she gets bitchy when he tells her his cell phone belongs to his boss.

Ryan has his pocket picked by a street kid, and tells Sara about him. She immediately takes over, researching how they could take care of him, where he could go, including contacting an outreach organization run by an ex-prostitute. When Ryan is surprised, she says, "Some people actually get out of the sex trade and do something worthwhile with their lives, Ryan."

Wow. You're all heart, lady.

She goes on to tell Ryan that she's made an appointment for him at the shelter. Ryan, again surprised ("You made an appointment for me?") says he has to work. Uh-oh.

He could tell from her expression that it was very much the wrong thing to say. "God forbid," Sara said, "that saving Adam's life should interfere with your Wednesday afternoon trick."

She goes on to lecture him, telling him he couldn't know anything about it because places like that didn't exist when he was a street kid (which was, um, probably early 90s, so I'm betting that they DID) and how the worker took all that time out of her busy day to make the appointment,

"and do you think I'm so naive that you can't trust my judgment or do you think you could take an hour out of your busy day of well-paid sex to keep this appointment for Adam's sake?"

He lowered his head, embarassed and confused. "I'm sorry. I just..."

"Right now, you're thinking like a street boy - and like a prostitute, I guess", she said gently. "But I happen to know that when you put that attitude aside, you're an intelligent and sensible adult."

Really. And did you pat his head and offer him a cookie after that?

Fuck. Me.

Is it just me???? Am I the only person who thought this woman was a complete bag, who didn't think Ryan was good enough for her unless he quit the life?

All right. At this point in the book I'm thinking I hate this woman so much I can't believe he still wants anything to do with her. And the LAST thing I want to do is read about Ryan having sex with her. Just based on her character I know an ultimatum is coming. And I freaking hate those more than anything in the world.

So I bailed at 63%.

Someone, please help me. Please tell me Sara has a split personality and this person I absolutely DETESTED disappears after they have sex and a more understanding, less self-absorbed Sara takes over? That she quits with the bitchy, derogatory remarks and becomes a more supportive friend/lover? That there is no more preaching and heavy-handed tactics to make Ryan feel even more worthless, that Ryan finds the strength to leave the life and help others ON HIS OWN, and not because some shelter worker and his girlfriend ganged up on him, or because the woman he loved gave him an ultimatum? Pretty please?

Story gets 4 stars
Heroine deducts -200 stars (setting a personal record for detesting a fictional character)
12 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen From Grace.

53.0% "I. FREAKING. HATE. THIS. HEROINE. Naive, goody-two-shoes, judgmental, demanding, uptight and condescending.

Yep, think that about covers it.

56.0% "(looks at update from an hour ago)

I forgot preachy and moralistic.

I'm done.

message 1: by Karla (last edited Aug 18, 2011 03:57AM) (new)

Karla Wow, what a completely raging, self-centered, controlling harridan, harpy and virago. No wonder you bailed. O__o

But if, post-sex with Ryan, she becomes all understanding and changes, that would also be obnoxious IMO, channeling into that whole "all she needs is a good f*ck" trope. Blah.

BTW, if you want to read about the crappy epilogue, this review talks about it:

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Great review Tammy! I have avoided this book even with the great reviews, now I know why!

message 3: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Hi guys, thanks! I'm still pissed off at that Sara person, what does that say about me when I want to violently bitch-slap someone in a book. LOL. I would expect remarks like that from a sister character, or someone he's been involved with for a long time, but NOT from someone he's only know for a few months.

Too bad. I liked the story idea a lot.

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Aug 18, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Buggy You rock girl, loved the rant. Bailing at 63% tells me it must have been BAD because nobody bails that far in.

I have on occasion actually rated books higher because I hated them so much, raving and getting all worked up, telling anyone who would listen what a peice of crap it was. They got a higher rating on evoked emotion.

message 5: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks Bugster! Can you believe I bailed RIGHT BEFORE they finally get naked? What a god-awful shame - I say that only because I skimmed that scene while writing my rant review, and boy, this author writes good ones. The thought of it being the Heroine just squicked me out enough that I couldn't read it. And I was so freakin' pissed at her it was all I could do not to throw my kindle (I coined a new phrase for this book, saying I should keep an old paperback beside my kindle so that I could wall-bang by proxy).

Good point! I probably should have rated this higher - there's gotta be some talent involved in making me so bloody mad, lol.

message 6: by Buggy (last edited Aug 18, 2011 09:49PM) (new)

Buggy That's hilarious, you bailed before the lovin!

Yes I've read some really bad heroines too but I was usually able to tune them out long enough to read their love scenes.

I'm also really liking this wall-bang proxy thingy.I may have to steal that.

A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions from a Freethinking Roughneck This is one of the books I was talking about that really got me riled up. I liked the man before I read his bio, jokingly calling him my boyfriend to anyone that would listen. After I finished his book... we broke up. Still I had to rate it 3 stars because I still remember my dissapointment.

message 7: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant I'm also really liking this wall-bang proxy thingy.I may have to steal that.

Anytime! But if you find a way to market it, I want in. :)

I was just over reading your review of the Trace Adkins book - yikes! Those dumb-ass Americans. ;D

Allie I was sifting through the reviews because I'm currently reading this book and I'm having to do it in stages because it's pissing me the hell off. Just checked and I'm at 66% right now. Unlike you I don't like Ryan a lot but, like you, I dislike Sara considerably. Ryan has no backbone (whereas he appeared to have more of one as a kid living on the streets - I guess his Madam sucked it all out of him during his training). And Sara.. oh boy. She's detestable. She's naive (where the hell does Ryan come up with thoughts that that bimbo is clever?!) and, frankly, pretty dim witted. And she's totally sexually ignorant (isn't she supposed to be 35?). She couldn't figure out what he was telling her when he mentioned his sexual activities (and, of course, when he initially told her about his job). She's a moron about her sister's sexuality too. Way to be supportive, Sara. What a self-centred bitch. I really dislike her. And, for someone who was so sickened by his job (and his sexual encounters with me) she had no problems repeatedly trying to get that deviant (Ryan) into her bed. More often than not (thus far in the book) Ryan's been the one to stop her asking when he's realized where she wants to go with her suggestions. She is sickened then she's wanting to have sex with him then is wondering who else he's been inside that day. UGH.

I'll plod on with this but it's one of the most annoying books I've read in a long time.

message 9: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Hallelujah!!! EXACTLY. She pissed me off so much I couldn't finish the book.

Detestable is SO the right word for her.

Are you going to finish it?

message 10: by Allie (new) - rated it 1 star

Allie OMG I finished the book yesterday or maybe the day before I don't remember as I've read a few since. Anyway. I HATED it with a passion. Ryan is a total wuss. He lets any woman play him, whether it's his 'pimp' (as her majesty calls the madam) or his stupid moron of a g/f. And, after her was almost raped by Derrick she has the gall to seduce the poor hooker into sex? WTF. What appalling characters. What a stupid book. I have to leave a review. I don't understand how so many people love any of these characters or the book in general.

message 11: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Allie - sorry, I just saw this.

What appalling characters. What a stupid book. I have to leave a review.

LOL! I'm off to check yours out. :)