Adrienne's Reviews > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

May 27, 10

bookshelves: fiction, southern, deaf-studies, own, oprah-s-book-club, favorites
Read from April 23 to May 27, 2010

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Quotes Adrienne Liked

Carson McCullers
“Maybe when people longed for a thing that bad the longing made them trust in anything that might give it to them.”
Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Carson McCullers
“I want - I want - I want - was all that she could think about - but just what this real want was she did not know.”
Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

05/24/2010 page 232
63.04% "Now here's a book that requires some effort but pays back the investment - 100 pages still to go even!"

message 1: by AngieA (new)

AngieA I found this a most interesting read. Complex characters. Look forward to hearing what you think!

Adrienne glad to hear a good review, that's for sure! a girlfriend handed this to me and said she didn't like it much but she wanted to know what i would think of it. lol!

i was so surprised that i had been voluntarily entered into a two-man book club that i couldn't say no...

message 3: by AngieA (new)

AngieA Well, what are ya gonna do when someone just hands you the book? I originally read this cuz it's on that list everyone has in their head of "things one should read to be well-read".

Adrienne oh well, there ya go. i'll be a good friend *and* smart. tehe

Adrienne Angie, did I tell you that I did really like this book? it was unusual and that one bit at the end i have a real hard time with but still a good read.

message 6: by AngieA (new)

AngieA Yes, I felt the same way about the ending. Really an excellent novel and an American Classic, to be sure.