Jesse Hanson's Reviews > The Winter of Our Discontent

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: books-i-ve-reviewed
Read from April 23 to June 15, 2010

I finished this back in June, but am just now getting to a review. I know that John Steinbeck books don't need reviews to make people aware of them or him, but still, there are those people who are only aware of Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.
The Winter of Our Discontent, just an everyday kind of story, is perhaps, line by line one of the most fascinating books ever. Pure genius, almost every word. Just like Kurt Vonnegut said in reference to a piece by Abraham Lincoln, "And I thought I was a writer". And to top it off, it's an easy read (outside of the fact that there's a bit of maritime terminology that slows one down for a few moments from time to time). But the only real slow down is as you go, "Wow" repeatedly.
Don't get me wrong. Steinbeck is not my favorite author. His ultimate outlook is so bleak as to be deadly. His novels almost always leave me depressed in the end. He has nothing to cling to, it seems, other that beauty, which he seems to revel in showing how it is fleeting.
But his writing is to emulate. And that's all most of us could ever do. Genius - well, you gotta have it or you don't.
I hate the star system. But since it exists - no choice - 5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Our Discontent.

04/23/2010 page 2