Mario's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

Apr 23, 2010

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** Judging the title itself, what can I expect? Sure, it was a fun read, very few good characters moments, and an interesting angle on the development of America but it was predictable. You could not care what happened to the characters, because he is using historical figures and we all know what happened to them. The ending was very weak. I was not offended by Smith usage of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but you could tell that Henry role was to help make future leaders out of men early on.

The biggest disappointment was the severely lack of information about the author himself after writing this book and the after math of learning this secret history. In the prologue, we are first introduced to the author, and his life before and after his research.. Most writers stated that prologues are superfluous, and they are right for the most point. However, prologues can be useful, as long as it enhanced the story significantly--which, this book did not.

John Wilkes Booth was presented as an odd addition to the book while I prefer to included him sooner instead of later--Booth needed to have a more stronger presence in the book personally. Some of the footnotes were superfluous, because it is--and should be-- mundane knowledge. Perhaps this book was overly hyped, and was disappointing gradually over the course of reading; hence why it took me a week, instead of a day to read. Honestly, it was Abraham Lincoln who slayed vampires, it is a goofy concept, but I guess it kind of work. Overall, Lincoln is no Buffy or Anita Blake and this is a pseudo historical fiction for no reason just to promote and sign off that goofy movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.