Jay Daze's Reviews > Sun of Suns

Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder

Dec 10, 10

did not like it
bookshelves: sf, unfinished

I noticed that Luke Burrage had put this on his to-read shelf (his podcast the Science Fiction Book Review is great) and thought I recognized the author. Had I read something by Schroeder? It turns out it was this book. I don't think I finished it. Sorry to be vague, though I rarely just abandon books, maybe I'm getting more efficient as I age.

It's an interesting experiment Luke is conducting, taking recommendations from his listeners. I doubt I would ever recommend a book to someone just because I know my own tastes seem so particular and a book that rocks one person's world can just be blah (see Sun of Suns) to another. I guess a better way is to say what you love about a book. Then others can go I HATE when books do that and not read it.

I'm worse than useless because all I can remember is stopping. Can't remember why. Wow, what a useless review! (Smile if you have read this far.)

Reading other review on the site, the people who didn't like it complained about poor characterization and plot. A wonky plot you can get away with when I'm reading but if the characters suck then I start whining and being all bitchy. One of the reasons I've come back to sf is that characterization has gotten much better in the decades that I strayed. I'm a poor sf reader; I'll take people over ideas every time. The rare case I can get both I'll rave about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun of Suns.