Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > The Dark Mirror

The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, favorite-series, favorites, love-the-audio
Read from May 02 to 06, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I love Juliet Marillier's books and kept comparing this one to her others. This is a complex story of 6th century Scotland, and Marillier brings it alive beautifully. I love learning about the Druids and the old religion and life in that era. This story is a tale of a a boy who is, unknown to him, destined to be King and a clandestine group with a plan to span 15 years of preparing him. At the same time the beings of the Otherworld have their own plan with the same goal but with many twists and challenges of their own.

When Breidi is six years old he is awakened at night by the light of the moon and finds a baby on the doorstep in a strange little basket. He believes she was put there by the Gods and that he must keep her safe. He names her Tuala. The Druid who is his foster father and mentor fears this child of the fey will somehow be a detriment to the plans for Breidi, but has to bow to the will of the Gods that brought her to their doorstep.

The story is that of Breidi and Tuala and the many hardships and tasks set before them by the fey on one hand and by life itself. I almost gave this book four stars in that I had wasn't as caught up in it during the first half as some of her other books, but the last half of this one made up for it. There is a lot of detail early on that slows it down or did for me, but it was necessary and I could not put it down today. If you enjoy books about the manipulation of human lives by the fey, this is a good one.

Edit: I have finished all three of the Bridei books and I now know why it was good for me to know all the details of Bridei's development and growing up. The next two books would be six or maybe ten stars if it was possible. It is one of the best series I have ever read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Mirror.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Thanks for the review Terry! Sounds interesting... I have no idea when I'll ever get to this series... we'll see...

message 2: by AH (new) - added it

AH I see why you love this author so much. I've added this series and the rest of the Sevenwaters series to my TBR and I hope to get to them soon.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I need to go back and revise my reviews better than I did them the first time. I was new to Goodreads and really didn't have a clue what to say. Now maybe I say too much although I try very hard not to do spoilers, but I do think my newer reviews, positive or negative are more informative. It is one reason why I am re-reading Son of the Shadows now - because I want to review it with the story fresh in my mind.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I need to go back and revise my reviews better than I did them the first time. I was new to Goodreads and really didn't have a clue what to say. Now maybe I say too much although I try very hard ..."

This sounds like my kind of book exactly. I loved the Merlin trilogy by mary Stewart.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) This is an incredible author. Her Sevenwaters series is better known than the Bridei Chronicles but they are my favorites of her books by just a little bit. The Sevenwaters series is Ireland and Britain and same era and WONDERFUL. She is a story teller far better than almost any other I have read.