Lor's Reviews > Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm

May 11, 2010

bookshelves: may-2010
Read from May 01 to 11, 2010

I received this book in a Goodreads First Read giveaway. I was happy to get this book because for me, Kate Wilhelm is one of those dependable writers who always has well written characters and interesting plots.

The first part of the book is about a family who strives to survive an onslaught of disasters. These remaining people turn to cloning as a way to overcome the infertility problems they face. The story picks up later after the clones have created a society of their own. Cultlike in their philosophy of community and lacking in creativity, an ostracized individual eventually breaks away to start his own group.

This book is a cautionary tale of environmental armageddon and the morality of science. It is also an adventure story mirroring the good and bad of humananity. I found the story intriguing and read it in two sittings. The characters and setting are inviting and flow into a well rounded story. The story seems both dated in so far as the science and relevant with the new fears of environmental global warming.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang.