Emilyandherlittlepinknotes's Reviews > Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Looking for Alibrandi was released in 1992, it was Melina Marchetta’s debut novel and I really have a thing for debut novels, often I actively look and choose debut novels, when they are good they are usually Oh This is So Good! a debut novel probably had to fight really hard just to get published and then readers need to discover it all by themselves. Looking for Alibrandi is an amazing book, it took the world by storm and was also made into a movie (please read the book first).
It’s about Seventeen-year-old Josephine Alibrandi (who I associate with Jessica Darling something about the humor). Josie is an illegitimate child who lives with her single mom Cristina and is attending a tony Catholic girls’ school on a scolarship. Josie and her mother’s lives are interfered with by Nonna Katia, Christina’s mother an the italian community they belong to (Family situation made me laugh, I am italian and I could really relate to).

Josie has little experience dealing with guys until senior year, when three members of the opposite sex complicate her world. Her father, who has not previously known of her existence, arrives on the scene unexpectedly, and she can’t help feeling drawn to him. She has a never-ending crush over the charming, white-collar, extremely wealthy, John Barton (who Josie believes she is destined to be with), John is also pursued by her arch- nemesis Ivy aka “Poison Ivy”.

She finds herself more and more attracted to wilder, iconoclastic bad boy Jacob Coote.

Josie is obnoxious, outspoken, delightful and irritating, her emancipation throughout the book is very realistic. There are a few themes in this book that make it a perfect read for readers of all age: the development of a new relationship between daughter and father, the coming of age life experience as Josie finds herself falling in love and tragedy strikes, the increasing complexity within our families that we experience as we start maturing into adults.

It’s no wonder this book was such a huge award winner. I absolutely recommend it if you are still in your teens. Melina Marchetta is a truly gifted writer and all her books are great.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alibrandi.