Tony Ruiz's Reviews > Shiloh

Shiloh – Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Grade: 3-5
Pages: 128
Theme: Animals Abuse, Morals
Awards: Newbery Medal (1992), Texas Bluebonnet Award (1994), Grand Canyon Reader Award for Intermediate Book (1994), Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader's Choice Award 1994 Youth (1994)
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Chapter book
Response: I originally read an excerpt while working in another class with an ELL, and had never heard of the book before that. It seemed interesting, and I found myself reading from the textbook more so than the student!! Being an animal lover, I usually enjoy reading stories about dogs changing their owners lives, and so on, so this was almost too easy to pick up for me. I enjoyed that Marty, the young boy trying to help Shiloh, goes through so many ethical dilemmas while trying to figure out how to help the abused dog Shiloh. I was really hoping it wouldn’t end up like “Old Yeller” or “Where The Red Fern Grows” (both of which still bring a tear or two). I was happy about the ending, as cheesy as it sounds, and still think that any novel/movie involving a dog, cat, or pet, should always have a happy ending (I know I’d make a bad director/producer!!)
Class Activitiy: After engaging in a class discussion about the ethics and morals or Marty’s decision to keep Shiloh from his legal owner, Judd, guide students in a multi-flow cause and effect map. If Marty keeps Shiloh, the cause, what would be an effect… (trouble from his parents, authorities, etc)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiloh.