Gina's Reviews > The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

2069941
Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: 26-books-for-2010
Read from April 22 to 27, 2010

What an extraordinary book! I appreciate the effort Mr. Grann took to tell the story - this non-fiction book reads like fiction, no doubt the reason it's been so popular.

Anyone can appreciate this story about the fate of Percy Fawcett - a British explorer in the early 20th century convinced that the Amazon hid a large, advanced and lost civilization. Grann painstakingly tracks his expeditions and uses access to family correspondence and diaries to track Fawcett to his final, mysterious disappearance. Soon Fawcett's obsession becomes Grann's, and our reward is this engrossing tale.

Note: Does contain some pretty cringe-worthy descriptions of Amazon bugs, animals and diseases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost City of Z.

04/24/2010 page 150
42.74% "Another absorbing non-fiction read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam I really enjoyed this lively taale of exploration and history. A good follow-up book if Fordlandia, which is about Henry Ford's failed attempt to buils and American style small town on the Amazon.

Gina I'll put it on my list, but I don't know how many more books I'll get to read before the baby is born!

I'm on a real non-fiction kick lately.

Evan There's also a new book about Fawcett called "Exploration: Fawcett." Glad to read your review of City of Z. It's definitely been on my list for a while.