Shelby Stafford's Reviews > Rainbow Valley

Rainbow Valley by L.M. Montgomery

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, juevenile

What always sticks me when I read this book is the rather pantheistic view of Montgomery. She is too taken up with the fairies and supernatural, you might say.

An example is when one of Ann's children wants to pray outside and she tell them that, that is alright because God is in everything, not everywhere but in everything.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Valley.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Yes, she does dwell on fairies and such a lot, which I don't like either. I don't know if I noticed the pantheistic viewpoint, though. :(

Melissa But then, I guess fairies are sort of a pantheistic viewpoint. I don't know if she saw it that way or not, but they're certainly not part of God's creation, and could be viewed sort of like mini-gods/goddesses or genies, I guess.
I still can't help liking her writing, though, for its absolute beauty of description (besides the fairies and all).

Shelby Stafford yah, i like reading her books too.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy I noticed her pantheistic view as well, and it caught me off guard. However, I just set it aside and ignored it until I read your review. It did give me a little uneasy feeling but I need to do a better job of recognizing the intent and paying attention to it, least I be unknowingly swayed. Good job in really analyzing the writing. I need to do a better job.
]
P.S. Thanks for being my "friend". I don't know if you remember me from FBC in Roswell, but I am a friend of your mothers. I was thinking of letting my daughter(age 10) get on here and use it for her book log. I was hoping that you could be a "Titus 2" woman to her? God bless you!