Adam's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

** spoiler alert ** Melinda Sordino's so-called friends from jr. high all turned against her when she ruined a party they were throwing just before starting their freshman year of high school. She was raped and she called the cops. Of course none of her former friends know this. They just know that to continue to be associated with the girl that flipped out and ruined the fun of a bunch of teenagers would be social suicide. So she goes into high school all alone and with a dark secret. Gradually, she stops talking to pretty much everyone.

A cool art teacher gets her to spend the year finding a way to make tree art. This becomes her main outlet of expression.

She's very funny and, if not for that, this book would be depressing. As it is, she has a really unique voice that just goes to show what a talented writer Laurie Halse Anderson is. It is hard to get people to laugh when the story is being told from the perspective of a rape victim.

The writing is truly engaging. I couldn't put it down and had it read in a night. I love the writing style. I think that if I were to write something now, I would heavily borrow from her style.

Warnings to anyone who is afraid of a real heavy topic told in a real way. It's probably not for kids. I'd say 14 & up, unless it's put into the hands of a more mature 12-13 year old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.