Martha Davis's Reviews > An Irish Country Doctor

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor

Apr 26, 2010

Read from April 22 to 26, 2010

This is a completely charming book. When young Doctor Barry Laverty comes to interview with Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reily, little does he know what he's getting into.

Welcome to Ballybucklebo (if you can pronounce it you're one up on me), a small village in Northern Ireland in the mid 1960s. Full of all the quirky characters you would expect in a small Irish village. From the old Major and his wife who keep crying wolf to the young woman who finds herself in the family way all the odd-bodkin inhabitants are covered in this book.

It really was a little Irish vacation reading "An Irish Country Doctor". I felt I was there in the room as we got to know each person you came to the doctor's surgery for medical help or just a kind ear. The story really captured how a small town GP is more than just a doctor, he really cares for all parts of his patients life.

I can't wait to read the next in the series to find out what happens next in Ballybucklebo.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Irish Country Doctor.

04/22/2010 page 70