Heidi's Reviews > On the Wings of Heroes

On the Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck

Apr 22, 10

bookshelves: 2010-book-challenge, 2010-ya-book-challenge, audio, fiction, historical, humor, ya-12-19, character
Read from April 16 to 17, 2010

With my interest in WWII viewpoints, this was a good book to show a US small town boy and how the war affects him, his family, and his community. It wasn't all war-war-war. In fact, I think my favorite parts were his adventures with his friend, and the escapades in school. typical of the author, I found myself laughing when I hadn't expected to. It also took me a while to get into the book (as happened with the other books). But his ability to create atmosphere and characters who seem so alive to you--it's amazing and fantastic. And I thought the age of Davy was perfect--another side I've not thought of before.

A good book with a tender message that isn't rammed down your throat. It's not my favorite of Richard Peck's, but it still ranks up there with the his others I've read--good choices to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Wings of Heroes.