Meg Powers's Reviews > If I Knew Then What I Know Now-- So What?

If I Knew Then What I Know Now-- So What? by Steve Delsohn

Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: crazy-rambling, crazy-peop-le-who-actually-exist-ed, readin2010
Read from April 21 to 30, 2010

Oh boy.
---------
Okay, here we go-
My last foray into reading co-authored celebrity memoirs was a year ago, when I completed Made From Scratch, Food Network star Sandra Lee's sentimental,self-centered "Footprints in the Sand"-ridden dreck. Have I learned from my past experience that ironic enjoyment of these sorts of books is near impossible? Apparently not. Yet how could I resist an angry Sophia Petrillo,haloed by a bubble of Estelle Getty-sans-get up, pointing an accusing finger at the reader? Or the ridiculous title?

Honestly, this book wasn't miserable, and the reader will be delighted to know that Estelle Getty is essentially Sophia Petrillo (and if you read her book, My First Five Husbands,Rue McClanahan reveals she is essentially Blanche Deboreuax). If I Knew Then What I Know Now... isn't an autobiography by any means-it's a lot of one liners and cheesy advice. Here's a Getty-ism: "You know the tags that say 'One Size Fits All'? I'd like to take a big red pen and write 'Like Hell!' on every one of those tags." I'm rolling on the floor with laughter, over here.

If you're like me and want to waste your time ironically reading 80s sitcom celebrity junk, this isn't a bad choice; it's really short and reads like a quarter of the Golden Girls. It doesn't hurt to read this out loud in a Sophia voice.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Knew Then What I Know Now-- So What?.

message 1: by Printable Tire (new)

Printable Tire I can't believe you don't even have the courtesy to give a book I gave you at least 5 stars!