kelley's Reviews > Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell

Jul 17, 14

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, kindle, poetry
Read in May, 2010

This is my first experience reading poetry. I enjoy the Bronte Sisters style of writing and thought this might be a nice beginning point for me. I found that I had to read the poems occasionally and individually. At first I found my self reading the poem out loud so I could find its cadence. Once I caught the rhythm I would begin again this time listening to the words.

I was divided in my reactions. Some I loved, some I liked, and some I simply scanned. There were several of Charlotte's that touched me deeply. I felt she was the better composer of the three. But I did enjoy Anne's simple and direct approach. Charlotte's poems contained a great story. Anne seemed to select her subject quickly, bring it to light and quickly draw the conclusion. Her meter was simple as well. Anne's poetry was by far the easiest to read, which might account for why I liked it. I found Emily's poetry to be somewhat "wild" in nature similar in style to Wuthering Heights.

I have learned that reading poetry is like reading scriptures. You can't read it like a novel and get much out of it. You have to read it bit by bit, reflecting and pondering and calling the image created to mind. The reader in order to appreciate the poems would have to visit the pages often, committing favorite passages to memory in order to completely enjoy the work.

Charlotte's poem "Home" was one that I particularly enjoyed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell.