Ryan's Reviews > Redwall

Redwall by Brian Jacques

Apr 22, 2010

it was ok

Now, for those of you who read this book and liked it, I have absolutely no problem with that. I actually thought it was an okay book myself. A heroic mouse by the name of Matthias lives peacefully in Redwall, an enclosed city within a fortress. The residents include mice, squirrels, badgers, otters, and all sorts of other small animals. However, an army of rats attack in envy of stealing the fortress. Matthias must become a warrior and obtain a sword to fight back at the army. Now, at this point, you might be wondering what kind of problem I could ever have with such a great concept and plot. You want to know don't you? Well here it is: foxes are villains in this series. Now, with the hero being a mouse, you could really expect that, wouldn't you? Well, guess what? There are NO good foxes in the ENTIRE series, even though there is such a thing as a good cat. Is that because foxes are cunning and sly characters? That's not always considered a BAD thing! I can name a few stories that have foxes as the protagonist or an innocent side character, such as The Chronicles of Narnia, Fantastic Mr. Fox, or Fox Woman. There was NO excuse, and I can't stand to read about a bunch of foxes being slain or murdered for treachery. If you've read my profile, you know that foxes are my favorite animals of all time (okay, maybe not that much, but I still like them a lot), and reading these books were pure torture to me! I may hate these books, but that still doesn't mean that you have to. If you don't like foxes as much as I do, or in this case, ferrets, rats, weasels, cats, and stoats, I would highly suggest this book to you, because you'll probably like it, unlike me. Final verdict: decent book, but I just can't stand to read them (if that makes any sense).
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redwall.

07/16 marked as: read

message 1: by Mrs.Fawnda (new)

Mrs.Fawnda Messmer Ryan,
What a great review. How sad that such a widely enjoyed book was so disappointing to you. I can imagine that I wouldn't really like a book in which bumblebees were bad, either. Do you think you would have liked this story if foxes were protagonists? Have you read Perloo the Bold? It's about a rabbit who unwillingly becomes king...and I don't recall there being any bad foxes.

Ryan Mrs.Fawnda wrote: "Ryan,

Thank you for seeing my side, Mrs. Messmer. Have you read the Redwall books yet? They're pretty okay, and I recall seeing a bunch of those books in the language arts classrooms. I even caught Sam reading it a bunch of times. I also was looking for fox books all day, and I found quite a few: Fox Rider, The Fox Woman, and a lot of others that seemed decent yet long. I'd also like to thank you for taking time out of your night to read my review and leave a comment that has probably ended my search for a good fox book. I cannot stress how much I love them. Maybe it's as deep as Savanna's love for horses. Too bad I can't see them whenever I like. ;) Anyway have a good day tomorrow, and good night.

Ryan So you like bumblebees?

message 4: by Mrs.Fawnda (new)

Mrs.Fawnda Messmer Bumblebees are symbols of courage and self-determination. Do you remember my bumblebee analogy from 6th grade math? Scientific research found that bumblebees should not be able to fly. Their wing and body weight proportions should prevent them from flying. However, bumblebees do fly. Like the bumblebee, we shouldn't be deterred from attempting to soar to great heights just because someone else says we don't have the ability.

Ryan Mrs.Fawnda wrote: "Bumblebees are symbols of courage and self-determination. Do you remember my bumblebee analogy from 6th grade math? Scientific research found that bumblebees should not be able to fly. Their wing a..."

Good analogy

Heather I find it funny how your review is how he made the foxes evil, I'm sorry (foxes are 3rd in my favorite animals) but I find it a poor excuse. But I'm just wondering, what would you rate this book if the foxes were not the bad guys?

message 7: by Annet (new)

Annet I really like your review! Like you, foxes are my all time favorite animal. If I had started reading this book and found out about all foxes being bad and the foxes being slain and such, I probably would have burned the book haha! But anyway, nice review!

Kanechroncilesrules I really LOVE Owls. I even have an owl notebook that cost me 60 dollars. Yep, that's right. Italian leather.

message 9: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay I do like the Redwall books, but I agree with you on that point. I don't understand why foxes, rats, cats, stoats, etc. were always depicted as antagonists. I'm just glad I've never read a one with wolves in it. Doubtlessly, they would be villains, and I would be pissed.

message 10: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Since, ya know, wolves are my favorite animal.

Joshua I am not sure but i think in one of the books a villain wears a wolves fur for a coat.

message 12: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay joshua wrote: "I am not sure but i think in one of the books a villain wears a wolves fur for a coat."

Really? I've only read four of the Redwall books total, and none of them made any reference to any wolves. There were foxes, wildcats, crows, and snakes...but no wolves. I wonder if they're considered to be rare creatures in that universe?