Evan Brandt's Reviews > Decision in Philadelphia: The Constitutional Convention of 1787

Decision in Philadelphia by Christopher Collier

May 23, 10

Read from April 21 to May 23, 2010

So far, looks like the actual Constitution may be the most interesting part of this book.
I'm not going to give it much more of my time.

The background on the period talks about how great all the colonists had it because of all the meat they had to eat. Of course there was slavery, but hey, sometimes the families were even kept together.
The drek about Washington was so hackneyed and thick I had to skip the chapter and move on.
Will let you know more depending on how much I can stomach.

Further along now and the book's value has improved.
Not that I'm surprised, but reading about all the horse-trading that went into making this constitution makes me realize how much our country is just about money.

* * *
May 23: OK, finished it and I must revise me previous opinion.
In the end, this book, while dated with its current references, was valuable.
The lengthy explanation made me eager, yes, eager, to read the Constituion itself, which is surprisingly short and concise.
Book also included the Articles of Confederation, which is a tad longer and spends a WHOLE lot of space on the settling of land disputes, which tells you where their heads were at.
In the end, I would recommend this as a good introduction to the subject, particularly if backed by an understanding of the people involved ahead of time.
Having read up on Hamilton, Washington, Franklin gave me a sense of how they would react to the circumstances. Will attack the Federalist Papers now with a renewed understanding.
But I got lured into an old book I bought at an antique store, Theodore Roosevelt writing a biography of Governeur Morris, who was a key delegate at the convention.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decision in Philadelphia.

04/21/2010 page 21