Alee's Reviews > Lift

Lift by Kelly Corrigan

F 50x66
Apr 21, 2010

Read from April 21 to 23, 2010

I have not read "The Middle Place," so I can't compare this to her previous book. That being said, "Lift" by Kelly Corrigan is a great short read all by itself. Written as a letter to her two young daughters, Kelly makes an attempt to give them an idea of what she was like when they were young. Reading through both big and small events in Claire and Georgia's short lives, readers are given a glimpse of the kind of mother Kelly is and encouraged to reflect on their impact in their own children's lives.

What I like most about this book is the honesty. Kelly defines parenthood as a "bold and dangerous thing," as "ordinary and tedious and aggravating, and then, so divine." We don't have kids yet, so I know in a lot of ways I can't relate to this. I am a nanny though, and at least from that perspective I can understand it in the tiniest way. I understand that sometimes childcare is exhausting, and then they give you the smallest thing-an honest smile, a spontaneous hug, a genuine laugh, a witty remark, anything-and you feel like you want to stay and play with them just like this forever.

If you're looking for an uplifting quick read, definitely give "Lift" a try.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lift.