Laura's Reviews > A Wizard of Mars

A Wizard of Mars by Diane Duane

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: fiction, scifi-fantasy, space
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

This one felt very different from the previous Young Wizards books, more personal somehow, but I absolutely loved it. You can tell she loved writing it and got really into the subject of mars in doing so. It has to be challenging to write a story making use of in-process research.

I appreciate that the characters are finally showing signs of growing up (it is a little bizarre to me that when I started reading the books, Nita and Kit were older than me and now I am something like twice their age). She handles the changes in feelings and perspectives beautifully and perfectly. I am insanely grateful for still being able to respect and love these characters, despite them becoming teenagers.

I have only one gripe with the direction the series is going, only becasue it leaped out at me especially strongly in this book. The line between "wizard's manual" and "iPad" appears to have disintegrated and it was distracting to have everyone using them like social networking applications. I totally understand why Duane wants to keep her characters contemporary, but it is suddenly distracting that everyone now has the latest technology, when they were using 80s technology when they were just 2 years younger.

But really -- a giant, rainbow, tantrum-prone dinosaur with the title Species Archivist? It's the little things that make me love this series, no matter what.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Mars.