Robin's Reviews > Othello

Othello by William Shakespeare

Dec 04, 07

Read in April, 1999

I loathe this play. Othello loves his wife and yet he doubts her by trusting Iago, who he knows is an unsavory fellow? Moron.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Othello.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Though I like the play, I think your review is hilarious and totally accurate. (Which makes me wonder why I liked the play...)

Rachel Brand I'm not so sure if Othello knew that Iago was an unsavory character - after all, he always calls him "Honest Iago" and Iago hides from Othello at the start of the play when he informs Brabantio of Desdemona and Othello's marriage so that Othello does not know his part in it. One of Othello's flaws is that he is too trusting, and as he has always known Iago, his Ancient, to be trusting he never doubts this.

However, I completely agree that if Othello truly loved his wife then he would have denied Iago's claims and trusted his wife. Even if he doubted her a little he should have spoken to her about it. Othello and Desdemona's love is very unconvincing - their marriage has very little communication or trust!

Perhaps Shakespeare meant this play to teach people about the problems with misplaced trust. In my opinion, Othello had too much trust in Iago and too little in Desdemona. Although it's important to still have good friends when you get married, your partner should always come first. Why marry them if you don't trust them?

As you can see, I am currently writing an essay on "Othello." And very much looking forward to finding a University level English Lit. course which doesn't study Shakespeare - as much as I found this play an interesting read, the whole "misplaced trust" thing really annoyed me. The whole "tragedy" could have been put to a stop of Othello had gone to his wife and been like, "Are you cheating on me or what? And where is your hankerchief?"

message 3: by Arifa (new) - added it

Arifa He didn't consider Iago to be unsavoury.

Jayda There are men out there who will listen to their disloyal friends over their absolutely loyal and honest lover. Sucks when you can relate to it.

Daniel Victoria wrote: "Aren't you supposed to rate a book on it's writing, and not on the characters and how horrible they are? "

He obviously doesn't find the plot convincing. That is a critique on the book, you know.

Daniel Not finding the characters convincing is a critique on the way the story developed. The way the story developed is known as the plot. You insulted me for pointing out the obvious and yet everything obvious seems to float a few miles above you.

Channel some of that anger inwardly for being hypocritical.

Shaun Champion Therein lies the tragic element - Othello's fatal flaw.

ɐıʌɐʇɔo hmm...I liked the play, but I do see your point. I guess Othello did not trust Desdemona because she already betrayed her father to be with him. Also, he does not know Iago is dishonest (Iago has a great reputation before the event). Again, I do see your point though, and how Othello lost trust with Dezzy so easily.

Drew he does not know that Iago is an unsavory fellow. quite the opposite

David Sarkies I like your honest opinion of the play, especially how it has drawn a huge amounts of responses decrying how wrong you are.

Bobby Bermea It looks, David, like you were already seeing something you hoped would be there. Everybody's responses seem pretty mellow and even-handed to me.

David Sarkies I didn't say I agreed, just that I appreciated his opinion.

Elizabeth Othello is a man of action. A General for the Venetian forces. Iago has always been by his side, an honest soldier. Think about the kind of bond we see between soldiers in present day...now imagine what that bond must have been like when fighting was done sword to sword, hand to hand. The love for Desdemona may be real and it may be strong but it is not as concrete as the brotherly bond that would exist between someone like Othello and someone like Iago. I find it less believable that Iago would do the things he does, for as flimsy reasons as he does, than for Othello to trust Iago. It doest speak to something that Othello never confront Desdemona about it until he's plunging a dagger into her, but that sounds like an abject moral lesson to me.

Aoife Paul?

message 15: by Wm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wm Willemstyn You should read the play not the Cliff notes. It may change your mind.