Kristi's Reviews > The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match

The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris

May 04, 10

bookshelves: fun-mysteries, mystery
Read from April 21 to May 01, 2010

This was my first Mr & Mrs. Darcy mystery. Mr. & Mrs. Darcy are based off of characters from Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice. They are now married, and in this fifth novel, have a daughter. The book begins with the Darcy's carriage being robbed just outside of Highbury. This event leads them to meet Mr. & Mrs. Knightly.

This is where the book took an interesting turn for me. Mr. & Mrs. Knightly are characters from Emma, another Jane Austen novel (Mrs. Knightly being Emma herself). We are taken into Highbury, where the story continues where Emma left off: we learn what has happened to the characters, and watch Emma continue to try and make love matches. While I have not yet read Emma, I had no problems following along and I think I will go back and read it now.

A death occurs just before the Darcy's meet the Knightly's, and the two couples work together to solve the mystery of the death as well as the robbery. This is written in the style of Jane Austen, and I enjoyed the story very much.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Intrigue at Highbury.

Wendy Are you loving it? A little cheesy, I know, but SO fun!!

Kristi I really like it so far! My first Mr & Mrs. Darcy mystery. I've never read Emma, but I think now I want to, I enjoy the characters.